Lyrics

Discuss Finale Songwriter here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

songwriter177

Post by songwriter177 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:22 am

Hello,
I am having problems with my ledger lines interfering into my lyrics in songwriter. Does anyone know how to fix this? My treble clef notes, several of them are in the way of my lyrics and they are overlapping :(
Please please help me, if you can
Also I am getting the impression from the info I read in my manual that
Songwriter might not have these capabilities to fix this, does anyone know, if it does or doesn't?
Any info, tips, help, or information on this would be vastly appreciated!
THANKS!!!!

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:45 pm

You can adjust the lyric baseline by shifting the triangles at the left of the staff. The triangle on the left adjusts them globally, the one on the right adjusts that staff only.

It's in the Help files.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

songwriter177

Post by songwriter177 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:29 pm

Hi there,
Thanks so much for your reply. I did try doing that, was hoping it'd work, unfortunately the ledger lines are still so low that even after adjusting; there are still collisions happening. The other reason for the collisions is I have a bunch of eighth notes in the bass clef so the flags are sticking up.
I guess one of the other things I could do would be to write it up an octave. I really didn't want to do this, also perhaps I could put the lyrics on top of the staff? Not really sure I want to do that either?
To be honest I am not sure if this would be frowned upon to put it above the staff? I certainly wouldn't think I should put it below since it's a grand staff and the melody is in the treble clef.
What I wish I could find is a way to somehow elongate the grand staff so that the space in between the treble and bass clefs is a bit wider.
If anyone knows how to do this, I am all ears!!!
Thanks again, that did help, it just didn't quite fix the problem.

miker

Post by miker » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:07 am

Using the staff tool, you can enlarge the space between the staves of the Grand Staff.

Staff tool>click in the box at the left end of the bass staff>drag it downward.

Look in the help files under Staves>Moving staves
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

songwriter177

Post by songwriter177 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:53 am

Hi there,
Actually I don't think that capability exists in Songwriter :cry:
I looked and looked and looked in the help files and didn't see any such thing, whereas before when you gave me the info, I was instantaneously able to retrieve it. Thank you though and if I am wrong I hope someone will correct me because it'd be worth it to me to know 100%, but as far as I could tell, it's not in this program, perhaps it's in Finale or the others?

Thank you so so so much again for helping and assisting with this!
Bless you and good luck with your music and your own stuff.
If you have time, .... do you perhaps know if there is any way @ all to
add an additional voice in songwriter once your work is complete?
I know you have to do it through the set up wizard and I am not sure it can be done. If it can, that'd save me a lot of time, from having to manually input or copy and paste dealing w/ those headaches, if not, then no worries. Thanks again so very much and Happy Holidays to you and yours.

miker

Post by miker » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:10 pm

What version of SongWriter are you using? If you have 2007, you are correct; it could not be done. However, in 2010, it can be.

You might consider upgrading. There have been a lot of improvements since the 2007 version.
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura

songwriter177

Post by songwriter177 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:23 am

Hi there,
Yes it is 2007. I will have to consider that upgrade soon.
Thank you so much for the info, I really appreciate it, that is what I thought, but wanted to double check.
Thanks much again.
Sincerely,
Songwriter 177