Creating separate blank staff lines

Discuss Finale Songwriter here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

graylocks

Post by graylocks » Thu May 27, 2010 6:45 pm

is there a way in Finale Songwriter 2010 to simply draw individual staff lines on a page. no time or key signature, just the clef and lines.

this would be to simply illustrate a scale or show chords of the key made from this scale.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Thu May 27, 2010 7:19 pm

No. Even in Finale, this isn't as straightforward as you might want. Since the program is primarily for notation, it wants those measures, time signatures, and the like. So it's still a matter of setting it up to work, and then hiding certain elements.

The teasers for Finale 2011 say that there will be a lot of education-type templates and documents, so maybe there will be something there.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

graylocks

Post by graylocks » Thu May 27, 2010 7:45 pm

so, what might i set up and then hide to accomplish my purpose? or, do you know of a simple music printing program that would allow me to do this? yes, i could write it out by hand but it doesn't look as professional.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Thu May 27, 2010 8:54 pm

If you had the full Finale, you could (for example) have a time signature of 4/4, write 2 measures of quarter notes, and hide both the time signature and the barline. Stretch the measure out to the entire width of the page.
Continue with another example, and hide the courtesy key or time signature, if you make a change.

So you can do it with Finale. But I don't know of anything that would let you just draw a staff, and simply enter notes of any duration.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society