Notating a round in SongWriter

Discuss Finale Songwriter here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

gritsboss

Post by gritsboss » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:08 pm

I want to notate a round, with four voices entering at different times through four loops of the song. So the sopranos enter first; the altos enter on the second time around; the tenors on the third time; and the basses the fourth time. I can see how to do multiple repeats (thanks to an earlier poster who pointed out the dialog box accessible via a double click on the end-repeat button), but I don't see how to use repeats to allow the different voices to enter on different cycles of the repeats.

An inefficient way to do this would be to just extend the number of measures x 4 and copy-and-paste each part in several times until they are all there, but it seems clunky.

Anyone got any ideas on this?

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:19 pm

Unfortunately, that's the only way on SongWriter. You would need to go to the full Finale to handle that in a single sheet. But making those copied sections and pasting them in is really easy, and won't take you more than a few minutes. You can also make a separate document for printing, so you don't waste paper making it show everything the way you did for playback. Using two documents in not an uncommon workaround.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

gritsboss

Post by gritsboss » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:02 pm

I was sort of afraid that was going to be the case, and I've done a similar thing in the past. It creates a little hassle, in that it's more difficult to keep track of measure counts, when you want to go back to something.

Thanks, in any case, for the prompt response.