Why is Songwriter saving a copy of my files?

Discuss Finale Songwriter here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

firtree

Post by firtree » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:52 pm

This is strange and not something I want... I have the file I save, i.e. "MySong.mus", and then SW automatically creates "MySong copy.mus". I looked in Preferences and haven't chosen Auto Save. Don't see any other options for this "feature". How do I turn it off? I don't want copies of my files made automatically. Creates clutter and is confusing. Many thanks!

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:30 am

I could be wrong here, but in SongWriter I don't think you can turn off the feature "create a backup file when saving".
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

firtree

Post by firtree » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:38 am

Thanks Peter. I don't even see that "feature" listed anywhere. I don't know why Finale thinks this is a good idea... I'll call tech support tomorrow just in case there's a way to turn it off.

Warren Barnett

Post by Warren Barnett » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:30 am

Don't turn it off. You will regret it when your power goes off, when you haven't saved your document for a while, or you make a bunch of changes that you have decided that you don't want afterall.

If you REALLY don't want the "clutter", let Finale make its backup files and the create yourself a separate folder inside the original folder, and move them all there. Delete them once the piece is finished and you are finished making changes. Finale creates these files because it is a good idea.

Warren