Flipping Stems

Discuss Finale Songwriter here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Powershifter

Post by Powershifter » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:11 pm

I'm considering purchasing Finale Songwriter so that I can transfer all of my hand written drum charts to professional looking charts. I've been playing around with the free 30 day trial version and I can't seem to get the snare drum notes to be right side up. Is there a setting where I can toggle the stems to be up or down?

I found that if I highlight a note and press L it will flip the individual note, but going through a whole page like that is a pain.

I have it set up so that it's only the snare drum.

Also, the only kind of music I write will be percussion materials (I teach drum lessons). Does anyone know if Songwriter is the best finale version for me?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks! :)

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:03 am

No, you can't do any "global" changes on that in SongWriter.

What you have, is what you've got. If it fills your needs, then it's fine. But if you want to customize anything, you'll have to move all the way to Finale. PrintMusic will give you a few more instruments, but you still won't be able to customize anything. Why not download the demo, and see for yourself?
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Powershifter

Post by Powershifter » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:36 pm

I tried Finale Print and compared it to Song Writer. For the money, and what I want to do with it, Song Writer seems to be the better choice. I realized that I can copy and paste measures with Song Writer - so I won't have to flip each note on the whole page, which is nice. I also started utilizing the 4 layers, which is extremely helpful when writing drum set parts.

Thanks for the help!