Spacing Eighth Notes in one measure

Discuss Finale Songwriter here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Issac Clarke

Post by Issac Clarke » Fri May 13, 2011 10:17 pm

Hi, I am having some trouble getting this first set of notes in the first measure of this piece to space out properly. When I put the eighth notes in the first measure then go to write the second it will put a half rest in after the set of eight notes, so there will be a bit of a space before the second measure. There should be no space at all. So when I go to playback what I wrote it will not sound right, because of the half rest being there, so there will be a few seconds of silence before the second measure begins. I tried to hide the half rest but the gap is still there.

I should also note that the piece is in 4/4 time. I have attached a picture of how it should look and what I have, so you can see what I mean.
Attachments
Piano Sheet.jpg
Piano Sheet.jpg (78.77 KiB) Viewed 4240 times
-Chris-

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Sat May 14, 2011 12:01 am

It would appear that your original example has a pickup measure of two beats. You can set that up from the Wizard, or from the Document menu>Pickup Measure...
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Issac Clarke

Post by Issac Clarke » Sat May 14, 2011 5:28 am

Ok, Thanks as I thought it was but I was not sure so I thought I would ask.
-Chris-

Jack Clark

Post by Jack Clark » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:28 am

I don't use the PickUp Measure feature because I use a two-measure click track leading into the pickup notes. I accomplish what you want by first manually entering a half rest then entering the pickup notes to the right of it, all in the same measure.
Jack

Songwriter 2010
Mac OS X, version 10.5.8
2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM