Rests

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Hemluth

Post by Hemluth » Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:20 am

One of my main problems with this is that I don¨t know what these things are valled in english, but I'll give it a try to describe.

You know when you have a large amount of rests you type them all together with a number above. How do you do that in Finale?

Second question, what do you do o make Finale type how many times you should play a repeat? I can just make it print the "empty ending box".

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:26 am

Hemluth,

What version of Finale are you using?

Peter
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Peter S.
Finale Version: Finale 2009, 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by Peter S. » Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:01 am

Hemluth wrote:One of my main problems with this is that I don¨t know what these things are valled in english, but I'll give it a try to describe.

You know when you have a large amount of rests you type them all together with a number above. How do you do that in Finale?

Second question, what do you do o make Finale type how many times you should play a repeat? I can just make it print the "empty ending box".
Hi Helmuth,
maybe it is better for you to look at the German Finale forum: http://finaleforum.superflexible.net/

What you look for is called multimeasure rest (Mehrtaktige Pause), you can make it with the measure tool.
Peter

Hemluth

Post by Hemluth » Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:07 pm

Thanks. Although I happen to understand "Mehrtaktige Pause" I'm avtually not that good at german either.

Yes, a multimeassure rest is what I'm looking for. But I can't seem to make Finale 2006 do as I want anyway. It just prints a numberless in the MIDDLE of a meassure and then ignores it. Any idea of how to make it work?

I've also tried right-clicking and "create multimeassure rest", but nothing at all happens.

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:35 pm

Hemluth,

To create a multimeasure rest of e. g. 31 measures, insert empty measures so that you have 31 empty measures.

Select the 31 empty measures, and you can use the context menu to create a multimeasure rest from the 31 empty measures.

The multimeasure rest will display correctly, and it will play back correctly.

Peter

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:38 pm

To create a repeat ending in Finale 2006, switch to Repeat Tool, and select the measures that should be in the first ending.
Then go to
Repeat menu > Create First and Second Ending

Peter

Hemluth

Post by Hemluth » Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:13 pm

Thank you for the tips, but when I try to do a multimeassure rest like you said, exactly NOTHING at all happens. I have no idea why it doesn't work.

EDIT: I found out what the problem was now. Finale does just display those multimeassure rests in page view, that's why I didn't see anything happen when I was in scroll view. Thank you very much.

I have yet another little question, is it possible to switch tempo to have several tempos in the same song? And now I mean both the playback tempo and the written tempo definition and btm.

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:07 am

Hemluth wrote: EDIT: Finale does just display those multimeassure rests in page view, that's why I didn't see anything happen when I was in scroll view.
Also keep in mind that multimeasures will only be created if all the measures are really empty.
Hemluth wrote: is it possible to switch tempo to have several tempos in the same song? And now I mean both the playback tempo and the written tempo definition and btm.
It is usually done by creating a text expression and attaching a playback effect to it (select playback->type->tempo : enter a value)
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.5, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

Hemluth

Post by Hemluth » Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:38 pm

Thank you. That did work.