Freezing stems on tab staff

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

The Other Bill

Post by The Other Bill » Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:03 pm

Hi -- I'm using Finale 2004b and I can't seem to figure out how to freeze a note's stem (either up or down) on a tab staff. On a normal staff, selecting the note and pressing the "L" key works nicely but this key appears to have a different function on a tab staff.

Help, anyone?

Bill

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:08 pm

Bill,

What are your settings in the dialog box "Staff Stem Settings"?

(Staff Tool, double-click the staff, click the button "Stem Settings...")

Peter
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

The Other Bill

Post by The Other Bill » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:57 pm

The stem direction is set to "Always Up". Problem is, I've got two voices in my piece. I want Voice 1 to have all stems point upward and Voice 2 stems to point downward. With all stems always going up, I can't figure out how to freeze just the stems of the Voice 2 notes downward. Help!

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:09 pm

When the Stem Direction is set to "Always Up", you can't make any stem point downward.

Instead, set the Stem Direction to "Default Direction".
The setting "Default Direction" allows you to let any stem point upward or downward as you like.

In the Document Options > Layers, set Layer 1 to Freeze Stems and Ties Up.
You may prefer to deselect the option "Apply Adjustments Only If Notes Are In Other Layers".
When this option is deselected, Layer 1 will default to point all stems upward (but individual stems in Layer 1 can be flipped with the letter L key).

Peter

PS
Instead of using Voice 1 and Voice 2, you might prefer to use Layer 1 and Layer 2.
In the aforementioned Layer Options, you can make the stems in Layer 2 default to pointing downward.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996