Plain Chant Notation

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Tomcat

Post by Tomcat » Mon May 22, 2006 4:07 pm

I want to do some Plain Chant (Gregorian Chant) notation. This means I need to be able to do meter-less, bar-less with black note head only (no stems) and I can't figure out how to do this and it's not covered in the manual with the demo version; at least if it is, I haven't found it.

Can anyone tell me how to set this up?

Thanks,
Tomcat

andersjitarr

Post by andersjitarr » Mon May 22, 2006 7:30 pm

I´m not so familiar with this. This is how I Should do it, maybe there´s an easier way.

1. No Time signature. Use the Staff tool and double-click on the the first measure. Under items to display you can choose what you want to dsiplay and what you don´t want to display, barlines, time sigantures etc.
2. No stems. Use the Special tool (the hammer). Use the quarter note that´s got an arrow up in the stem. Now click in the measure and you will see small boxes on each notestem in that measure. Shift-click in every box in that measure and then just drag them down or up until the stem is gone.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon May 22, 2006 10:00 pm

Actually, in the dialog box Staff Attributes, in the pane Items to Display, you can also deselect "Stems".
This might be somewhat faster than hiding stems with the Special Tools Tool.

Tomcat, is playback an issue?
When you have a Note Value across a barline (invisible barline), you have to end the note at the barline, and add a hidden rest after the barline as "placeholder" before the next note.
But "playback across the barline" is possible with the MIDI Tool.
You can e. g. change the playback duration of the note before the barline by 200 %.

Peter
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Tomcat

Post by Tomcat » Tue May 23, 2006 3:17 pm

Thanks, guys, I'll give those suggestions a try and see how they work out.

Peter, yes, I would like to have playback. I have both GPO and EWQL Silver Orchestra Pro XP, and both have pretty good organ sounds in them which I would like to use.

Thanks,
Tom

Tomcat

Post by Tomcat » Wed May 24, 2006 12:09 am

Well, I got my copy of Finale 2005 Power today and, lo and behold, on page 297 there is a section about entering chant notation!! The only additional thing to what you guys said was the suggestion to make each system only have one bar.

Thanks again,
Tom