Unable to add an instrument

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:45 pm

With Zuill's help, I created a custom percussion map for the cajón (attached), saving the file as a template (Cajón.ftm). But I am unable to replicate the customization nor add the instrument in File Manager to a new document, despite using the setup wizard and selecting Cajón. Neither "World Percussion" nor "Cajón" appears in the Percussion Layout Selection list in a new document.

The file is saved in the following location; and in "Program Options," I have directed Finale to look for templates in the same location.

C:\Users\Username\AppaData\Roaming\MakeMusic
\Finale 2012\Music Files\General Templates

In Score Manager, I selected the same settings as in the template file.

INSTRUMENT DEVICE SOUND
Cajón SmartMusic... World Percussion

Can someone help me figure out what I am overlooking and obtain playback of the cajón in a new document?

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:18 pm

I'm not sure what it is you're trying to do. However, if you want the Cajon Layout available in other documents, create a Library from that document you posted and than you will have it available for other documents.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:48 pm

Djard wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:45 pm
… I created a custom percussion map for the cajón (attached) …
There are Percussion MIDI Maps, and there are Percussion Layouts (but there is no such thing as a “percussion map”).

I suspect that you mean Percussion Layout.

Since a Percussion Layout is document specific, you can save a template with the Percussion Layouts you need for all new documents.

Templates are stored in the Templates folder (as you have found out).
To create a new document from a template, go this way:
File menu > New > Document From Template…
Finale will show a directory dialog box of the Templates folder (where you can choose your template).

If you - instead - want to use the Document Setup Wizard, then you should put your template in the Document Styles folder.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Djard » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:27 pm

That worked! Thank you Zuill and Peter. You guys are awesome.

When saving the library file, I saved "Percussion Layouts" only, so when I loaded the library file in a new document, Articulations, Expressions and Custom Lines did not get duplicated. Cajón now appears in the Percussion Layout Selection window. Yay!