How to print system numbers?

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

joseluis

How to print system numbers?

Post by joseluis » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:04 pm

Hi!
I want systems numbers in my score, Finale 2007.

I can see the numbers (in page view) but only with the page layout button pressed. How do I get those numbers permanent and printable? Is there a way to position them farther from the page left edge?

Thank you

Re: How to print system numbers?

by Sponsor

Forum Sponsor

michelp
Finale Version: 26.3.1, 25.5, Mojave
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:36 pm

Systems numbers are visible when the page layout tool is selected, but as far as I know, they cannot be printed.
A workaround : create a text expression or a text for each system and position it.
Michel
MacOsX 10.14.6, Finale 26.3.1, 25.5, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. Full TGTools. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27' pivot, 24')

joseluis

Post by joseluis » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:50 pm

Thank you.

montedoro44
Finale Version: 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by montedoro44 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:04 pm

I just stumbled on this ancient thread, hoping to find a built-in procedure for line numbers / system numbers. Here is the easiest way I know, and these instructions are written into the attached example doc:

> Create a text box.
> Type in the counting numbers, each followed by one (or two?) line-feeds (ENTER is line-feed).

> Select all
> press ctrl-shift-period repeatedly until the column of numbers increases character size & column height until it looks close enough.
> right-justify
> If it isn't close enough, you can fine-tune character size and Line-spacing from the Text menu.

It's still a job, but usually doesn't take long to look ok.
Attachments
Line numbers.musx
(103.23 KiB) Downloaded 6 times

Graeme Gilmore
Finale Version: Finale 25.2

Post by Graeme Gilmore » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:01 am

Another way is to use sequential rehearsal numbers (make a duplicate if sequential numbers are already in use in that score -- or make a second Rehearsl Marks Category, which is what I did). Then adjust the positioning to be on the left of the leftmost measure. Using a meta tool, they can be added very quickly and are readily adjusted if an extra system needs to be inserted.

In the case of a single staff to a system I used
Justification: Left
Horizontal Alignment Point: Left Barline
Additional Horizontal Offset: -85
Vertical Alignment Point: Above Staff Baseline
Additional Baseline Offset: -115
Graeme Gilmore

Finale 26.2.2, Windows 10 64-bit Home Premium, GPO, TGTools, Patterson Plug-Ins, JW Plug-Ins

HaraldS
Finale Version: 25.5

Post by HaraldS » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:34 am

montedoro44 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:04 pm
> Create a text box.
> Type in the counting numbers, each followed by one (or two?) line-feeds (ENTER is line-feed).
[...]
If the layout changes only slightly after you numbered the staff systems by hand, you'll have to do it over again.

I would suggest the following JWLua script. Select the whole score and run in in the JWLua plugin window:

Code: Select all

local staffsystems = finale.FCStaffSystems()
staffsystems:LoadAll()
local groups = finale.FCGroups()
groups:LoadAll()
c = groups.Count

for ss in each(staffsystems) do
    local g = finale.FCGroup()
    g.StartMeasure = ss.FirstMeasure
    g.EndMeasure = ss.FirstMeasure
    g.StartStaff = finenv.Region().StartStaff
    g.EndStaff = finenv.Region().EndStaff
    local str = finale.FCString()
    c = c+1
    str.LuaString = c
    g:SaveNewFullNameBlock(str)
    g:SaveNewAbbreviatedNameBlock(str)
    g:SaveNew(c)
end
Here is how it works:
  • the script adds a new staff group on each staff system
  • the new group consists of the selection's staves from top to bottom, but spans only the staff system's first measure
  • the group full name as well as the abbreviated name are set to the staff system's number
  • thus, the staff system number is centered between the top and the bottom staff and follows any layout changes
Be sure not to change the number of measures in a staff after running the script.
Finale 3.0-25.5, German edition, Windows 7
trombonist, pianist, conductor / Recklinghausen, Germany

montedoro44
Finale Version: 26

Post by montedoro44 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:36 am

Nice to see these other ingenious methods to get line numbers. Maybe some upgrade day, the Finale programmers will add such a routine -- the logic is already there, per the Page Layout tool.

A related task, likely not broadly desired, is to have staff names on both the right & the left sides of the systems. This is for tightly-written pages of say, like quintets. Sometimes when I'm reading in an ensemble, when I switch to the next line (= next system), I forget which voice I'm playing, and so land on the wrong one. All that would be needed for this would be the addition of a 2nd staff name.