Volume Adjustment

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

1930BUD
Finale Version: 2014
Operating System: Windows

Post by 1930BUD » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:16 pm

SUBJECT: Adjusting total volume of a file

After many years I have completed my Symphony #2.

The work is currently in four files. Unfortunately, I did not monitor playback
sound levels. When played separately one after the other – three play well at playback level 6. However, one movement is too loud, and it needs to playback at
level 4.

Question 1: is there a way to adjust the sound level in the too loud
movement, and should it be done separately or after I
combine the 4 movements into one playback file?

I completed all four movements using Finale 2014 as I was comfortable with adjusting details.

Question 2: Should I move all files to V26.2 for further improvements – or
Should I go directly into a DAW?

Question 3: Which DAW would you recommend?

I look forward to your advise, and thank you for your help.

BudM

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:21 pm

If you want to adjust the volume of a file globally, any audio software will do it (Audacity, etc..).
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

heinzfan
Finale Version: 27

Post by heinzfan » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:07 pm

You don't state whether you use Windows or Mac, but the movement's volume can be adjusted within Finale by Midi/Audio menu/VST Banks and Effects and lowering the master volume (assuming you're not using outboard midi). Alternately you can lower the volume through Finale's mixer.
You don't need to invest in a DAW just to adjust volume. As stated, free Audacity will do the job.
Finale 27, Windows 10, VST: Vienna Instruments/Ensemble/Synchron, Cubase, Kontakt 5

1930BUD
Finale Version: 2014

Post by 1930BUD » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:09 pm

HELLO

I use Windows

Thank you
BudM

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Djard » Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:56 pm

The suggestion to use a DAW, like Audacity or the more powerful Ardour (can be fully downloaded for $1) gives you far more control over the playback sound, even create a surround sound file. Finale's mixer is very limited. Surely your work deserves the best.

heinzfan
Finale Version: 27

Post by heinzfan » Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:58 am

I've experimented with getting more control over playback by exporting a Finale midi file with its HP to a DAW and then having the DAW control Finale's playback of 3rd party VSTs. Having used trial versions of Reaper, Samplitude, and now Cubase, the learning curve is not easy. The initial problem in each case was just getting the two software systems to communicate. Once that was squared away if was learning the DAW's graphical interface to affect the various midi continuous controllers. I don't believe Audacity has such capability and is mostly for working with audio files.
Finale 27, Windows 10, VST: Vienna Instruments/Ensemble/Synchron, Cubase, Kontakt 5

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Djard » Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:42 am

The OP wants to mix down his tracks, chiefly to balance the volume. Audacity's Envelope tool is easy to use: he could shape the waveform to his liking in less than a minute, after concatenating the files. This option requires very little learning and offers lossless editing.