Changing bar numbers

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Roy Mathers
Finale Version: Finale 2014
Operating System: Windows

Post by Roy Mathers » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:53 pm

Forgive me if this has been dealt with before, but I am a beginner with Finale and I'm trying to get to know the free trial version of Finale 2014. An online search has indicated that, to change bar numbers, first you have to get to the Measure Number dialog box by "
Choose the Measure tool . The Measure menu appears.
Choose Measure > Edit Measure Number Regions."

The trouble is, when I choose the Measure Tool, the Measure menu does not appear. Nor does it with the alternative method of
Choose Document > Edit Measure Number Regions.

Can any of you gurus tell me where I'm going wrong please? Merry Christmas!

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:03 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Are you looking in the TOP menu bar? That's where the measure menu would show, when you choose the measure tool. When you choose any other tool (staff, Simple, etc.) does the corresponding menu appear?
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Roy Mathers

Post by Roy Mathers » Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:08 pm

Thanks very much for your swift reply. When I select the Measure Tool, it does indeed appear on the top menu but, when I click on that, all three options (Show numbers, Hide numbers, Restore defaults) are all greyed out.

at8ax
Finale Version: PC 2014.5, 25

Post by at8ax » Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:36 pm

If no measures are selected (highlighted), those options are inactive.

Roy Mathers

Post by Roy Mathers » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:23 pm

I've now selected an abritrary seven bars and tried again. This time, only Show Numbers and Restore Defaults are active.

Roy Mathers

Post by Roy Mathers » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:52 pm

Just to be clear on things - the version I have downloaded as a free trial is Print Music version 2014a.v855. I take it that it's possible to change bar numbers and page numbers in this software?

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:13 pm

There are several programs in “the Finale family”.
The different programs share the same Finale file format, but the programs have different capabilities.

The command “Edit Measure Numbers” is available in the “full Finale”.
PrintMusic is a smaller version where some of the full Finale’s more advanced features have been removed.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Roy Mathers

Post by Roy Mathers » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:36 pm

Are bar numbering and page numbering among the features that have been removed?

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:11 pm

Yes. You cannot change page or measure numbers, or measure number regions, in PrintMusic.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Roy Mathers

Post by Roy Mathers » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:26 pm

Ah well, back to the drawing board! I'll have to look for some other software, but thank you for all your help.

Yankele 004
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by Yankele 004 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:56 pm

I've been using Finale for ten years and I'm afraid I've never been able to get the Edit Measure Numbers function to work. It has never changed the starting number of the new section to 1. I click on Measure Tool, go up to the tool bar at the top, I click on Edit Measure Number Regions and then I type in the start measure number and end measure number of the first region, using the real numbers. Then I add a new measure region and indicate which start measure and which finish measure I want it to apply to. Finally I ask for the new numbering to start at 1 and continue 1,2,3,4, etc. up to a possible 9999. Then I click apply and the first bar of the 'new number region' shows no number but the next system starts with the same number as it would have shown if I'd done absolutely nothing. This used to happen with my Finale 26 and all of my earlier versions. Now I have Finale 27 and it's still happening. In the end I just insert the numbers by hand with the text tool because I have no other option. This also presents problems since I have to erase the preset numbers that are still appearing. I suppose the long term solution would be to change systems but then I would have to learn a whole new program from scratch.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:08 pm

As I recall there are some bugs with this but I can't reproduce your symptoms. Can you get it to happen with a default document? If so, please describe the steps exactly, including which numbers you use and which buttons you push.

johnjenniffe

Post by johnjenniffe » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:36 am

Yankele 004 wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:56 pm
I've been using Finale for ten years and I'm afraid I've never been able to get the Edit Measure Numbers function to work. It has never changed the starting number of the new section to 1. I click on Measure Tool, go up to the tool bar at the top, I click on Edit Measure Number Regions and then I type in the start measure number and end measure number of the first region, using the real numbers. Then I add a new measure region and indicate which start measure and which finish measure I want it to apply to. Finally I ask for the new numbering to start at 1 and continue 1,2,3,4, etc. up to a possible 9999. Then I click apply and the first bar of the 'new number region' shows no number but the next system starts with the same number as it would have shown if I'd done absolutely nothing. This used to happen with my Finale 26 and all of my earlier versions. Now I have Finale 27 and it's still happening. In the end I just insert the numbers by hand with the text tool because I have no other option. This also presents problems since I have to erase the preset numbers that are still appearing. I suppose the long term solution would be to change systems but then I would have to learn a whole new program from scratch. radon mitigation dayton ohio
Same happened to me and until now I can't figure it out, lol!