resize tool changes lyric size

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

chill319

Post by chill319 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:56 am

Searched the forum but found no discussion of this issue.

If a note in a vocal line has been resized, sometimes the corresponding syllable gets a smaller font when click assignment is used. Also, if the entire underlay has been set in one font size and a note is resized, the font size of the corresponding syllable sometimes becomes smaller.

The image below shows an example with click assignment. You can see that the last syllable has a smaller font size than all the others. Setting or resetting font size in the lyric tool has no effect on this issue. You can affect the overall font size, but not the resizing of specific "random" syllables.

I am using 26.3 for Windows. Please tell me a workaround for this problem, which is preventing me from submitting work.
small lyric font.png

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:15 am

To avoid lyrics resizing, consider attaching the lyrics to an unused layer.

If playback is an issue, consider muting that layer.
Or change the layer notes to rests.
You can hide the rests.
Or you can move the rests down below the bottom of the page (use the plug-in Move Rests).
In that way the rests will not print, even if they are not “hidden”, technically speaking.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Perotinus
Finale Version: Finale 27.3
Operating System: Windows

Post by Perotinus » Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:07 pm

I agree that this is something that one should be able to turn off. If you are using an articulation, for example, it allows you to keep the articulation from resizing with the note.
Perotinus

Finale 27.3
Windows 10 Enterprise

chill319

Post by chill319 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:50 pm

Thank you, Peter Thomsen. I used your suggestion by putting in a new voice, all rests of the same "denominations" as the notes in the vocal line, and assigned lyrics to that line. A pain, but despite a couple of unexpected complications, it works.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:02 pm

Or, you can change the lyric size: In the lyric window, select all. Then go to Character Settings in the Text menu (it will be there, even though you’re in the lyric tool) and make the changes. Your lyrics will resize. Repeat for each verse.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society