copy/paste experience

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

hermanding

Post by hermanding » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:18 pm

running intel Mac pro quad and finale2008
2 .mus files. decided to include 2nd file at end of the first file - consolidatión?
so, i selected all and copy from the 2nd file (orquesta instruments and piano - a piano concerto) and then added a new bar to the end of first file and pasted the copied file into the added bar, so that first file increased in bars from about 125 to about 250 bars.
here's what i saw after wards. all staves copied OK except for the piano. it seems that the right hand copied OK - BUT the left - when i change to treble for playing in the upper part of the piano - it copied STILL in the base clef and put the notes on ledger lines above the clef - at times 15 ledger lines - of course impossible for the pianist to do easily. and amazingly - although usually working this piece in 4/4, i changed to 2/4 in order to easily change to the treble in the left to get the notes inside the staff - so a measure of 2/4 base and a bar of 2/4 treble. after the copy, i had 1 bar of 4/4 all in the base with lots of ledger lines in the 2nd half of the bar. IMAGINE the processing finale did in that conversion. AND - it is correct and sounds fine - but from the perspective of the performer, it would be very very difficult to play with so many ledger lines.
any ideas on this?? has anyone seen this happen in a copy paste situation?
thanks to all of you for your opinions and responses :D :D :shock:
ding

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:22 pm

You have Finale 2008.

1) Have you downloaded and installed the free 2008a Update?

2) Have you tried Finale 2008's ScoreMerger (it's in the File menu)?

Peter
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

hermanding

Post by hermanding » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:08 am

thank you peter for your reply
yyes, i have the finale2008a update. no, i did not know about file merger. i would assume its purpose is to do what i was doing with copyand paste right??
i think i will try it on a couple of test files.
ding
ding

hermanding

Post by hermanding » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:02 pm

well, the file merger is definitely an easier procedure than copy paste. the only problem it had was it copied the piano base clef not only to the first file base clef but to the first file treble clef as well, meaning the treble clef in file 2 did not merge to file 1. that COULD be due to the fact that i set up two pianos - one for the right hand and the other for the left hand - which are on different channels in both instrument list and kontakt2 - in order to assure different sound dynamics from both hands. but, i don't know - just a guess.
as you have said before peter, the first thousand years are the hardest
:D :D
thanks much
ding