Expressions and Voices

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

shootski

Post by shootski » Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:14 am

Hello, I'm using Finale 2003, and I was trying to figure out if you can keep expressions (octave markings, dynamics, etc.) limited to one Voice. For example, I'm working on a piano piece. I want the singular low bass note (in a separate Voice) to be pp, while the other voice plays mp.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
The One And Only...

shootski

yuki-kyousuke

Post by yuki-kyousuke » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:38 pm

You need to change the channels for every staff. "Windows", then "Instrument List", and then you change channel according to staff order (or whichever order you want). It's pretty simple, you have 16 channels in total, but keep clear of channel number 10, which is used for drum and percussion playback.

If ever this doesn't help you, then ask me again in a more specific manner, and I'll try to help you out. To view what channel playback looks like, download this ---> http://www.vanbasco.com/download.html?product=1

You should see "MIDI output", when playing a MIDI song with it, which will show you the notes being played, according to pianos.

Good luck!

shootski

Post by shootski » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:50 am

I think I mixed up terms. When I said Voices, I actually meant layers. Sorry...

Anyway, I brought up the instrument list OK, but it won't let me change the channels for individual layers. When I try change the output channel for my layers, Finale changes all the channels of all the other layers, chords, and such, to whatever channel I selected. Example: in my solo piano piece, both staves are set to channel 1. I expand staff 1 and select layer 2's channel. I change the selected layer to channel 2. Immediately, Finale changes all the other layers, and the layers of the other staff, to channel 2.

Any suggestions?

-Aaron
The One And Only...

shootski

yuki-kyousuke

Post by yuki-kyousuke » Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:58 am

Oh, I'm soooo sorry.
I forgot to mention one thing.

All of the layers (of voices), are under one title! For example, if you have a choir, each intrument name will be called something like "Choir voices", or something like that. Since it's all under the same name, every change will occur to each of the layers in the same instrument name.

Here's what you do.
Do the same thing as before, and next to channel, you'll see "Instrument". Click on the little arrow down, and select "New Instrument...". A little window will open up, don't panic, it's very simple, hahahaha. It will most likely be called "Instrument1", or 2, or 3, or any other number. The name won't change a thing, simply select a channel, and under "General MIDI", select the playback instrument you want. Do this with every other layer (or voice), and make sure to select a different channel for every which one. So, if by example, you have two piano staves, then one will be "Instrument1, Channel1, Patch=Program Change, Program Change=1, General MIDI= 1: Acoustic Grand Piano", and the second stave will be "Instrument2, Channel2, Patch= Program Change, Program Change=1, General MIDI= 1: Acoustic Grand Piano". Program change number is the same as your General MIDI selection.

Tell me if this helps!
If it doesn't, I'll try to answer again :).
Good luck!
Regards,
Yuki
Last edited by yuki-kyousuke on Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:01 am

yuki-kyousuke wrote:Oh, I'm soooo sorry.
I forgot to mention one thing.

All of the layers (of voices), are under one title! For example, if you have a choir, each intrument name will be called something like "Choir voices", or something like that. Since it's all under the same name, every change will occur to each of the layers in the same instrument name.

Here's what you do.
Do the same thing as before, and next to channel, you'll see "Instrument". Click on the little arrow down, and select "New Instrument...". A little window will open up, don't panic, it's very simple, hahahaha. It will most likely be called "Instrument1", or 2, or 3, or any other number. The name won't change a thing, simply select a channel, and under "General MIDI", select the playback instrument you want. Do this with every other layer (or voice), and make sure to select a different channel for every which one. So, if by example, you have two piano staves, then one will be "Instrument1, Channel1, Patch=Program Change, Program Change=1, General MIDI= 1: Acoustic Grand Piano", and the second stave will be "Instrument2, Channel2, Patch= Program Change, Program Change=1, General MIDI= 1: Acoustic Grand Piano". Program change number is the same as your General MIDI selection.

Tell me if this helps!
If it doesn't, I'll try to answer again :).
Good luck!
Regards,
Yuki

yuki-kyousuke

Post by yuki-kyousuke » Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:06 am

Oh, well, the basic thing you have to remember, is that each instrument name is different, to assign them different channels.

shootski

Post by shootski » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:04 pm

Thanks for your help, yuki-kyousuke. I got it working :D. See you around.
The One And Only...

shootski