Transposing instruments speedy entry

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

gdgross
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by gdgross » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:19 am

So I have a clarinet in Bb - no problem, I just transpose everything down a half step in my head and all is well when Im arranging.

However, when I use simple entry to enter notes, they play back in the transposed key (F in this case), not the concert key (Eb.) How do i set finale up so that when I enter notes in they will sound at the right pitch.

On playback it's fine, it plays in the right key, but it messes with my brain when I'm entering notes manually... haven't tried entereing via a keyboard yet. this is finale 2012 on mac os 10.7

Thanks!
http://www.merlotembargo.com

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:42 am

As you have found out, Finale plays Notated Pitch during note entry, but plays Concert Pitch when you click the playback button.
Yes, it is indeed annoying.

For a long time many Finale users have requested the option of having Concert Pitch playback during note entry.
MakeMusic is fully aware of it.
But we have not got it yet, unfortunately.

Workarounds:

1) (Cheat!) Document menu > Display in Concert Pitch
When the option "Display in Concert Pitch" is toggled on, all staves display in Concert Pitch (= un-transposed).
Since you in this way make Notated Pitch the same as Concert Pitch, it is no longer a problem that Finale plays Notated Pitch during note entry.
Just remember to toggle "Display in Concert Pitch" off when you are done!

2) (Real Solution) If you have a MIDI keyboard with external hardware playback module, you can use playback from the external playback module instead of using Finale's own playback, and set the MIDI keyboard to transpose so that Finale enters the correct notes on the staff.
Disclaimer: I don't know whether it is possible in Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.

By The Way: MakeMusic has annouced that there will be a free Finale 2012 update this month.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

gdgross
Finale Version: 27

Post by gdgross » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:45 pm

Ok, thanks!

I was hoping there was a setting to change...I kind of like working with the transposing instruments as they read them, keeps my brain sharp and helps me understand the pain they deal with when people give them charts in concert pitch lol.

But sounds like the only workaround is to display the staff in concert pitch. Easy enough, I just lose the mental exercise of transposing on the fly. :-)
http://www.merlotembargo.com