How can I edit/change a chord suffix in Jazz

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

aemusic
Finale Version: 2014
Operating System: Mac

Post by aemusic » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:32 am

When I play the chords (in Jazz font), it automatically writes minor chords with an "m". Since the small m looks like a capital M in jazz, it can look a little confusing. My question is, can I change that and make it "min" so that all the minor chords will have the min suffix attached to them? Thanks
Attachments
Screen shot 2013-02-06 at 11.28.45 PM.png
Screen shot 2013-02-06 at 11.28.45 PM.png (44.03 KiB) Viewed 4342 times
AE MUSIC

Finale 2014
Mac OSX 10.9.5

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:09 pm

To edit chord suffixes in Finale 2010, go to the dialog box Chord Suffix Selection shown in your screen shot.
Click on the suffix you want to edit (e. g. the m suffix shown as #89 in the screen shot)
so that it becomes highlighted.
Then click the button Edit… in the bottom left corner of the dialog box.

You get to the dialog box Chord Suffix Editor where you have full control over each font character in the suffix:
font, size, style, vertical position, horizontal position.
You can {add characters to the suffix} / {remove characters from the suffix} as you like.

To get a "better" m character, use another font, e. g. Lucida Handwriting.
ChordSuffixEditor.jpg
ChordSuffixEditor.jpg (37.48 KiB) Viewed 4340 times
Be aware, however, that there is more than one "Jazz" font:
Jazz
JazzCord
JazzText
JazzText Extended

In the JazzCord font each character is a complete suffix, so you can't edit the individual elements in the suffix (unless you use a font editing program like Fontographer).

I hope that this is clear?
If not, ask again
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

aemusic
Finale Version: 2014

Post by aemusic » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:32 am

Thanks so much for your help. I undertand how to change the font now. So is it not possible to change the M in the chord suffix editor to "min"? Also, let me ask you something else since you're expert! When I use the chord midi input to play the chords, everytime I play a minor 6 chord, finale writes it as a min7b5 of the 6th over the root (i.e I play Amin6 from the root position and finale writes F#min7b5/A). Any ideas why or any way to change this? Thanks so much for your expert help.
AE MUSIC

Finale 2014
Mac OSX 10.9.5

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:05 am

aemusic wrote:…is it not possible to change the M in the chord suffix editor to "min"?…
Yes, it is possible.
Take a look at the screen shot in my previous post.
In the top right corner of the Chord Suffix Editor you choose the font character.
You can navigate between the different elements of the suffix by clicking the buttons "Next" and "Prev".

When changing from "M" to "min" you can for the "min" use 3 characters (= m - i - n) from the JazzText font.
Or you can use a single character from the JazzCord font (in slot #229).

aemusic wrote:…When I use the chord midi input to play the chords, everytime I play a minor 6 chord, finale writes it as a min7b5 of the 6th over the root (i.e I play Amin6 from the root position and finale writes F#min7b5/A). Any ideas why or any way to change this?…
I don't know.
My first guess would be that Finale searches the chord suffixes in "number order" from the top: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11…
And therefore Finale will pick the suffix "min7b5" if it appears before "min6" in the list.
Try re-ordering the suffixes so that "min6" appears before "min7b5" in the list.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996