Assigning the correct sound for a bodhran

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

LJS
Finale Version: Finale 2012
Operating System: Mac

Post by LJS » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:09 pm

Finale 2012. Windows.

I have selected a bodhran for a current arrangement. However Score Manager does not seem to have an appropriate sound to assign to it. Can you help?
Finale 2012 Windows

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:43 pm

There are a lot of instruments listed that don't have sounds in the standard Finale offerings. Sorry.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

murphybridget
Operating System: Windows

Post by murphybridget » Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:55 am

Absolutely! While there might not be an exact match, try layering ethnic drums or percussion sounds for a bodhran-like feel. Experiment and enjoy the creative process!

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:57 pm

For playback, I export my tracks to Audacity, wherein I have more control of the sound (compression, formant change, graphic EQ, synth effects, pitch control etc.), after which I mix down the project. In Audacity, I sometimes replace a Finale instrument with a superior one, like replacing the standard drum kit with one created in Hydrogen (also freeware). If I want the one I created in Hydrogen to play in Finale, I simply import it as an audio track (visible in Studio view) and mute Finale's drum set in the mixer or Score Manager. Yet another option is to install a VST plug-in with the custom instrument.