multiple voices on SATB lines & autoformatting

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

thesporkofsatan

Post by thesporkofsatan » Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:15 am

Hi
i am rather new to this program... i just got a copy of it & thus far it has been incredibly frustrating. the reason i got it is because i am writing a choral piece. i am not especially keyboard profecient so the midi playback is helpful..

my first problem is when i try to put multiple voices on a line. (i.e. bass 1 & bass 2). it works fine if the rythyms are the same (i.e both voices are singing 2 half notes) but i cannot figure out for the life of me how to get this program to allow there to be different rythmic values for each of the voices (i.e. bass 2 singing a whole note & bass 1 singing a dotted quarter, 8th, 2 16ths, 8th, & a quarter note)...... i realize it would be possible to just simply create another staff & do it that way... but since the voices are not spilt the entire time it would be nice to keep them on the same clef..... so in short my queston is how do you get finale to allow multiple lines, on the same clef, with different rythmic values.............?

my second question is how do you turn off all the autoformating... i cant stand it when programs try to do everything for me... the ones specifically im talking about are things like auto spacing for the measures. the way it prevents you from putting more notes than are allowed by the time signature (& it seems like the mathematical calibrations of the measures is ulitmately what is causing my problem of not being able to put lines of different rythmic values on the same clef)... in this case my question would be how do i get finale to stop correcting my "mistakes" & just simply be a musical text editor with midi playback & nothing more (i.e. the program does exactly what i say without question)?

any answers to these questions (or suggestions on a program that is more suited to my needs) would be incredibly helpful..........

thank you

Peter S.
Finale Version: Finale 2009, 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by Peter S. » Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:16 am

My answer is in the "General" forum - please do not post one question twice. Thank you