Can we apply legato to Guitar Bends?

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:20 am

I use the Guitar Bend tool in Smart Shape palette to write guitar bend indications and have tried a variety of Human Playback options; but I am unable to obtain a legato effect in playback when writing a double bend, where, say, an "A" note is plucked and bent up to "B," lowered back to "A" then back up and down again.

In the attached example, the first full bend is played then the second "B" is erroneously played as plucked. Use of the Slur Tool to mark a legato has no effect in playback. Finale also erroneously plays back all three notes in the preceding slurred triplet, ignoring the slur.

If Finale cannot play what is written, maybe there is a plug-in someone knows of that works.
Attachments
Legato.mus
(152.01 KiB) Downloaded 162 times

Djard

Post by Djard » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:34 am

Tough question.

FwL
Finale Version: 2010, 25.5

Post by FwL » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:46 am

Guitar playback is woefully inadequate in Finale. You have to remember that Finale is a notation program with basic playback ability not a MIDI sequencer.

You could do what you want with MIDI pitch bend data, but do you really need this to play back perfectly?
A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules... often with the aid of unsuspecting musicians - Frank Zappa

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:22 am

If you apply Tab Slides between each set of notes it plays better.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Djard

Post by Djard » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:32 am

Yes, the Tab Slide Tool renders a better note bend; since use of the Guitar Bend erroneously fully sustains the first note. Thanks.

I wrote a hidden Tab Slide then added the conventional Guitar Bend indication. But I was not able to disable the playback of just the Guitar Bend. Sigh!

Why I want the playback? Just to check if what I hear in my head is correct, mostly for timing.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:24 am

Human Playback only seems to recognize the bends if they are attached to noteheads. Try attaching them to beats instead. The only drawback to that is that the text then doesn't show. You will have to add the text with an articulation or expression.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Djard

Post by Djard » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:27 am

Thanks. I will try that option also.

BTW, Kevin at MakeMusic responded to my inquiry about playback. He said slurs for legato do work but not for guitar. He recommended searching for a 3rd party plugin. Nice to know what is possible and what is not...saves time wresting with the matter.