Question about staff names in divisi staves

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Elwin_Raffins
Finale Version: Finale v.25
Operating System: Windows

Post by Elwin_Raffins » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:13 pm

When I am scoring for full orchestra, I need to be able to have divisi staves for certain instruments, however, I'm having trouble doing so. Applying the Staff style "staff name=1, 2" doesn't exactly work since I only see

as the staff name. I need to be able to see, for example
French Horn

Except the 1 and 2 are more
With the French horn being in the middle, to the left of both.
How do I do that?
Also, how would I be able to part extract?

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:50 pm

Elwin_Raffins wrote:… I need to be able to see, for example
French Horn

Except the 1 and 2 are more
With the French horn being in the middle, to the left of both …
Are you an experienced user?
I am not sure, how detailed instructions you need.

I would use a Group Name.

Since you have two staves, create a staff group containing the two French Horn staves.
Set up the Group Attributes as needed - e. g. with Group Bracket and Barlines Through Staves.

Elwin_Raffins wrote:… Also, how would I be able to part extract?
1) I am not sure why you need extracted parts. Finale has linked parts. Can you not use linked parts instead?

2) Anyway, the extracted parts are created from the linked parts.
Edit the linked part to have the staff setup as needed in the extracted part (Document menu > Manage Parts…).
If the two French Horn staves do not have a Full Name, then the dialog box Manage Parts will only show the French Horn staff group, not the two individual French Horn staves.

In the score you can still let the two French Horn staves display a Full Name, via a custom staff style.
The dialog Manage Parts only looks for a Full Name in the Staff Attributes; it does not look at staff styles.

In this case I suppose that you need to create a two-staff French Horn part, right?
In the linked part, hide the extra staff where there is no divisi.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Elwin_Raffins

Post by Elwin_Raffins » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:27 pm

I am not an Experienced Finale User, I'm relatively new.
To save space, I just wanted to put French Horn 1 and 2 as well as 3 and 4 on corresponding staves (2 parts on each staff). The problem is, I couldn't get the names to show properly. I use v. 25 on Windows 10.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:09 pm

Elwin_Raffins wrote:I am not an Experienced Finale User, I'm relatively new …
You are most welcome!

Just FYI:
We may sometimes misunderstand your questions because you do not (yet) know “Finale-speak”.

Your words “divisi staves” added to the confusion since we are used to think of divisi as {a single staff that in certain passages splits into two staves (or three) for divisi} - and then goes back to a single staff after the divisi passage.

Elwin_Raffins wrote:… To save space, I just wanted to put French Horn 1 and 2 as well as 3 and 4 on corresponding staves (2 parts on each staff). The problem is, I couldn't get the names to show properly …
1) In the staff name you can enter the Return character, to move one line down.
Just type

French Horn

Does that not solve your problem?

If I misunderstand you, then I apologize.

Elwin_Raffins wrote:… I use v. 25 on Windows 10.
You can add your Finale version to your {forum user profile} so that your Finale version will always display to the right of your post.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Elwin_Raffins

Post by Elwin_Raffins » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:54 am

Well, what I need is that the french horn to be on one line, and to its right, the numbers 1 and 2 be on top of each other as a staff name
With the French Horn to their left, and perfectly centered vertically.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:03 am

Open one of the templates that already has a staff set up that way. You should find one in the orchestral scores.

Go to the instrument list, and open the part’s full name chicklet. Copy that.

Go back to your score, and do the same thing. When you get to the full name box, paste the name from the scratch score. Make changes if needed.

(That’s the easiest way I’ve found.)
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3

Post by David Ward » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:35 am

Do you want something like this?

While in the Staff Tool the full name for the bassoons was done by applying a negative baseline shift (Text submenu) to the word ‘Bassoons’ and returning that to 0 for the ‘1’ and then typing ‘2’ on the next line. The horns were done with ‘Horns’ as a Group Name rather than as a Staff Name. One also has to adjust the Staff Name positions. This can either be done by dragging the handle or by experimenting with figures via the contextual menu.

If I'm typing in what seems to you to be Finale's version of Ancient Chinese, I apologise and will attempt to explain in exact detail later.
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:09 pm

Off topic, but I can't resist: "French" horn is kind of slangy. The official name in English is simply "Horn."

Elwin_Raffins

Post by Elwin_Raffins » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:12 am

David Ward wrote:Do you want something like this?

While in the Staff Tool the full name for the bassoons was done by applying a negative baseline shift (Text submenu) to the word ‘Bassoons’ and returning that to 0 for the ‘1’ and then typing ‘2’ on the next line. The horns were done with ‘Horns’ as a Group Name rather than as a Staff Name. One also has to adjust the Staff Name positions. This can either be done by dragging the handle or by experimenting with figures via the contextual menu.

If I'm typing in what seems to you to be Finale's version of Ancient Chinese, I apologise and will attempt to explain in exact detail later.
Yes That's what I wanted. More Detail would be nice, though, I'll try and find out how you did it.

Elwin_Raffins

Post by Elwin_Raffins » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:11 am

Guys Help, I can recreate the group name in the example above, but not the Staff Name. I can not seem to find the right tools to do it.

Elwin_Raffins

Post by Elwin_Raffins » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:15 am

David Ward wrote:Do you want something like this?

Can you explain in detail how you got the Bassons feature? I could not find the tools necessary.

Elwin_Raffins

Post by Elwin_Raffins » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:51 am

Another Question, How do you do all this for Abbreviated Staff Names?