Finale and Automation

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

kbsaxlessons
Finale Version: 2016
Operating System: Mac

Post by kbsaxlessons » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:20 pm

Hello,

I would like to create 15 Pdf's and 15 Mp3's for 15 different band instruments (Flute, Clarinet, Oboe, etc.) of "Row Row Row Your Boat" from one official version of sheet music. Has anyone had any luck with something like this? Which program would allow me to do this?

Thanks,
Kevin

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:42 pm

Since you’re on a Mac, your choice is very simple: Finale.

Neither PrintMusic nor NotePad work on the newest Mac OSs.

And Finale will work just fine, for what you want to do.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

kbsaxlessons

Post by kbsaxlessons » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:15 pm

Hey Miker,

I apologize, my question has to do with how to automatethis process. Which program will help me automatically create 15 Pdf's and Mp3's based off of one official version of the song in sheet music form. How can I automate this process so that I eventually don't have to click "change instrument" "Save as Row Row Row Your Boat Clarinet" "Print and save as pdf" "Export Audio" etc. Which program will help me automate these time consuming tasks?

Thanks,
Kevin

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:51 pm

Sorry, that’s way out of my pay grade. But I suspect someone will have an answer!
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:09 pm

Finale comes with FinaleScript, but this is little more than a 'macro' tool that sequences commands. There's no flow control or logic. So by the time you had typed in everything you wanted to do, you could have just ... done it. It's useful for saving and recalling sequences of commands or batch processing.

There is a third-party plug-in for Lua scripting, but by the time you've figured out how to use that and read all the objects and methods, you could have just ... done it.

However, once you've typed in the music, it's not a lengthy task. Assuming a very generous 2 minutes to change the instrument, Save As PDF and Export Audio, that's only half an hour. I often save mind-numbing tasks such as this to do while I'm watching something equally bland on TV. :D

HaraldS
Finale Version: 25.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by HaraldS » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:59 pm

Creating 15 PDFs is simple: set up a score with all your 15 instruments and copy the melody to all staves. Create all the linked parts and send them to a virtual PDF printer like PDFCreator. Prior to that, set your virtual printer to create PDF files in a specific folder without opening each file immediately. Start the printing process for all linked parts, and you'll have your 15 PDFs within seconds.

I can't really help with creating MP3s since I never used Finale's audio export function.
Finale 3.0-25.5, German edition, Windows 7
trombonist, pianist, conductor / Recklinghausen, Germany

kbsaxlessons

Post by kbsaxlessons » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:11 pm

Thanks guys! Right now I just need help with being able to export the Mp3’s all at once. I am eager to not have to sit down for another half an hour to execute on these simple steps. Thank you all so much!

-Kevin