Making a quality MIDI piano Mp3 in Finale

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Al Fine
Finale Version: Finale 25.2.0.79
Operating System: Mac

Post by Al Fine » Thu May 31, 2018 1:43 pm

Greetings all! I'm using Finale 25.something (not 100% sure, but I believe it's the most recent version, as I just bought it last year), on an iMac. I’m wanting to create several Mp3 files, using the MIDI piano instrumentation option on Finale, and to make them of the best quality possible. I’ve already created several files, but I’m not savvy when it comes to taking advantage of what Finale might allow me to do, so while the MIDI piano sounds pretty good at times, it also sound pretty fake at other times. All I’ve done so far is to create the notation file, and tossed in some tempo changes, used the Scaling option for dynamics, and adjusted the notation when necessary (i.e., when I want a fermata, I’ve simply added more bars of the desired note(s), and used ties for sustaining). All of this has just been on my iMac, but I am planning to take whatever Mp3s I end up with, and work further on them with Apple Logic Pro X (I’ve never used that program, and so my entire endeavor has a pretty steep learning curve). I just want to make some basic improvement, EQ, compression, etc. Another option I’m considering, is to have a professional pianist record some files for me and then I'll also import them to Logic Pro. However, I’d first like to explore whether or not I can get the MIDI version of my files to sound pretty close to a real piano. Sorry this is a bit of a long post, but what as short as I could make it and still get my question across. I know I may have left out some info necessary for someone to answer my question, so fire away with the counter-posts. :-)

Jetcopy
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25, 26

Post by Jetcopy » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:38 pm

I'm not sure exactly what your question is. Yes, it's possible to take a midi piano and get a good recording. You get that by understanding the sound you're using and being familiar with it's controls. You also need to be well versed in Finale and/or Logic, understanding how to use those tools.

In my case, I prefer to get a decent playback in Finale, then bring that into Logic and tweak from there. Others prefer to stay in Finale for the entire process. You mention compression, you don't need to use it unless the situation calls for it. Adding compression changes the sound. Don't use it or any plugin, just because it's available to you.

Take your time and learn how to use the tools at your disposal.

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:06 pm

Al Fine wrote:used the Scaling option for dynamics, .... when I want a fermata, I’ve simply added more bars of the desired note(s), and used ties for sustaining.
Finale's Human Playback will hold fermatas, observe dynamic markings and hairpins, and follow metronome expressions. You don't need to adjust the notation.
It can also use Ped and * indications for sustaining.
Al Fine wrote:I’d first like to explore whether or not I can get the MIDI version of my files to sound pretty close to a real piano.
Make sure you're using the Steinway Grand instrument in the Garritan Instruments for Finale library, rather than the SmartSynthSound MIDI sample.

Of course, it depends on your definition of "pretty close to a real piano". The Garritan Steinway instrument is a sample of a real piano, so it will resemble the sound a piano makes, but it's not going to sound like Horowitz or Brendel without a lot of effort. It depends on the nature of your music to some extent, too.

Al Fine

Post by Al Fine » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:18 am

So sorry, I've been remiss in replying to you all. I appreciate your replies! I'm currently switching over to the Garritan Steinway option, may have more questions after that (like, I've made the change, and now my audio won't play. I'm poking around on my own for the answer, but feel free to chime in, heh). I'm still trying to determine the best classical piano sound that Finale can produce on its own (after any necessary human modifications and finessing). Once again, thanks, and sorry for my tardiness in replying.

Al Fine

Post by Al Fine » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:49 pm

Okay, a quick update: I've found a way to change my Synth piano instrument choice to the Garritan Steinway option. However, when I use Playback, the scroll bar moves through the score, but there is no audio. Here are the steps I went through: Midi/Audio; Play Finale through Audio Units; Score Manager (where I selected the Garritan Steinway); Audio unit banks/effects (where Bank2 showed Aria Player); Clicked on the pencil icon which produced the Aria Player pop-up; Chose 1. Steinway--import--my piece into which I wanted to import.

After the last step, I got another pop-up telling me that, "Nothing registered to read files with extension musx". I then tried the Steinway Finale Default option, which gave me a pop-up which read, "Error slot 0, no sound asset loaded", followed by a long "not found" list.

Thanks in advance for any help you can render!