Aria Player is a blur

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

GarryW
Finale Version: 2014.5 and 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by GarryW » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:45 am

I have Finale 2014, including Aria Player with "Garritan Instruments for Finale". I'm trying to get the Aria Player to do something useful. But I'm having problems. Specifically, to start with, the simple violin playback is just a blur on my machine.

Here's the sequence:

1) DEFAULT DOCUMENT: I close all documents and restart Finale. To make a test document, I create a "File / New / Default Document", fill it all the way with quarter notes on middle C, and put a "jump always" repeat at the end. I click the Finale playback button. The computer goes bong bong bong nicely, sounding rather like a piano. (Even though it's using the "Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth", according to Score Manager / Instrument List.) All well and good. But then...

2) VST: I choose MIDI/Audio / Play Finale through VST instead.

3) ARIA PLAYER: In Score Manager / Instrument List, I choose Device = "ARIA Player" on Staff 1. Then, I set Bank = 1 and Channel = 1. Then, I click "Edit Player" to get to the Aria Player interface.

4) VIOLIN: In Aria Player, I click on the upper left choice (where it says "1 empty"), and change it to Finale Default Bank -> 007. Solo Strings -> Violin -> Violin Plr1.

5) PROBLEM: I click Finale playback button. I get one slightly-pulsating continuous middle C played back, sounding like a violin, as the cursor moves through the default document. There is no separation whatever between the quarter notes.

How do I get Aria Player to play two quarter notes in a row as two separate notes?

Please find "FinaleViolinBlur" file (using Aria Player) attached.

For comparison, "FinaleViolinNonBlur" (using Microsoft Wavetable) is also attached.

thanks,
Garry
Attachments
FinaleViolinNonBlur.musx
(88.3 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
FinaleViolinBlur.musx
(88.24 KiB) Downloaded 146 times
Last edited by GarryW on Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:37 pm

This was a known issue that is better in v25. You need to go to HP preferences and change settings in Continuous data settings. I believe the Start/Stop time setting should be set to not be used by HP.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

GarryW
Finale Version: 2014.5 and 26

Post by GarryW » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:56 am

I'm sorry, I'm not following... the only mention of "Continuous Data" that I can find is over in
  • Window ->
    Special Tools Palette ->
    MIDI Tool ->
    Edit Continuous Data ->
    View Continuous data
And I don't see anything about Start/Stop time there... but I do see something nearby called
  • Window ->
    Special Tools Palette ->
    MIDI Tool ->
    Edit Note Durations
Which appears to allow you to tweak the notes one by one (somehow... the user interface there is more than a little cryptic.) But one by one doesn't help me much -- not when I have thousands of bars of music.

If I instead investigate "Human Playback", by going to
  • Edit ->
    Preferences ->
    Human Playback ->
    Human Playback Preferences...
...I get confused.

Hm...

Does there exist a score marking that is something like a "mild staccato", to tweak note separation without going to the extreme of a regular staccato? I see the "pizz." score expression, but that's overkill - and it has no associated playback qualities listed anyhow...

thanks,
Garry