Whate are the settings for diminuendo?

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:51 pm

I created "dim." as an expression then edited it in Expression Designer, Playback tab, selecting Key Velocity. But I have no idea what Effect to choose (Set to value or Execute a shape). Is there a way to make the expression work like a hairpin?

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:10 pm

Instead of defining a playback effect for the dim. expression, I would consider letting Human Playback interpret the expression.

You can not use Human Playback in your current project?
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Djard

Post by Djard » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:33 pm

Thanks for responding, Peter.

I have written a "repeat until fade" of four measures that are set to play three times, and they work nicely. I added a diminuendo expression at the end of the four measures, hoping the music would gradually fade out. I tried adding hairpins that work but then the volume resumes at normal when the group of four measures repeats.

If playback of the not uncommon 'repeat until fade' is possible, Finale's manual offers no information about it. I did find reference to using a diminuendo but found the jargon confusing and got dizzy reading how different settings must be applied for different instruments with exceptions. The poor grammar in some of the paragraphs makes much of the topic unreadable. I think this is one challenge that only a very experienced user like yourself might be able to meet.

In my current project, HP is set to standard; and below are my HP preferences for "Dynamics & Volume":

Type: Key Velocity Only
Curve: Automatic
Hairpin Pair Emphasis: 50%
Auto Expression Emphasis: 40%
Automatic Dim. on long...: Yes
Dynamic Approach...: Automatic
Optimize Attacks/Base Value: 80
Balance/Base Inst: 75%
Allow Temp. Score Adjust: Yes

Anything else I can try?

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:17 am

I have never tried to create a diminuendo that continues through a repeat.

As you have found out, the volume resumes at “normal” when the group of four measures repeats.

To avoid that, I would try adding a (not displaying) expression that plays back only on Pass 2.

If the “normal” dynamic level was a forte, then set the “Pass 2” expression to e. g. a mezzo-forte.
And add another expression that sets the “Pass 3” level to e. g. a mezzo-piano.

Geddit?
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Djard

Post by Djard » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:41 pm

Your workaround is interesting. But for a gradual fade, I would need to create many custom dynamic symbols. Once my current score is finished, I will save each instrument as a wave file then use my DAW to add the gradual fade.

Wait! I got the dim. to work. I set the last four bars to repeat three times then added the "dim." marking at the end of the last measure. I had to edit the Time Scale of the "dim." to lengthen the duration, so that the fade would extend throughout the three repeats. Below are the steps if anybody is interested.

1. MIDI/Audio -> Human Playback -> select a genre from the list.
2. Expression Tool -> double-click where you want the "dim." to appear.
3. Create Dynamic -> type "dim." in main field.
4. Playback tab -> from "Type" drop-down menu, choose "Key Velocity."
5. Select "Execute shape" -> Select -> click on one of the downward sloping lines -> Select -> OK -> Assign.
6. Audit your work. If the fade is too short, adjust it as follows.

LENGTHEN FADE

7. Expression Tool -> double-click on handle of the "dim." -> Edit -> Playback tab -> Select.
8. Edit -> set as follows...

Time Scale: 4:1 (5:1 for an even longer fade.)
Level Scale: 8:1

9. OK -> Select -> OK -> Assign.