Problems changing time signature

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

photowriters

Post by photowriters » Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:37 pm

Learning a new software package can be humbling and frustrating. Almost 40 years ago I had sounded and wrote out a tune. I thought the time signature was 6/8. I created several arrangements of this piece in 6/8 time only to realize that it should be in 4/4 time. Changing the time signature for the piece is fairly easy, but I have not been able to figure out how to adjust the notes and lyrics to fit the new time signature.

The first measure in the original 6/8 time contained two eighth notes, one quarter note and two eighth notes. The 4/4 version should have a half rest and a quarter rest followed by the original notes. What I would like to do is simply insert those rests into the first measure and have all of the existing notes move three beats to the right.

So far nothing I have tried works. Notes are either replaced or disappear. I even tried to solve the problem by inserting a new measure at the very beginning of the piece and using the note mover tool to make the adjustment. I was told by the Finale sales staff before I purchased the software that it was possible to insert or delete notes and rests and all of the notes on a staff would adjust themselves automatically, so I am sure that I just haven’t stumbled on the proper technique.

I did several searches on the forum here without success. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am using Finale 2006.
Regards,

Bob

-------------------

If someone declares that he is able to do everything at sixty that he was able to do at twenty, then he was not doing very much when he was twenty.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:42 am

Bob,

These steps work for me:

1. Insert an empty measure before the first measure.

2. Change the time signature for the whole piece from 6/8 to 4/4.
Don't forget to select the option "Rebar Music".

Peter
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

photowriters

Post by photowriters » Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:40 am

Thanks! I knew it had to be something simple.
Regards,

Bob

-------------------

If someone declares that he is able to do everything at sixty that he was able to do at twenty, then he was not doing very much when he was twenty.

photowriters

Post by photowriters » Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:49 am

That worked just fine.

Now let suppose that you have written a piece and you want to change the value of one note from an eighth to a quarter or a quarter to an eighth. I found the mass edit method of changing note values and that works fine if the note you want to change is the only note in the measure of a particular value, but it doesn’t work if you want to change the value of one eighth note in a measure full of eighth notes.

Or perhaps you want to insert a single note into a full measure or conversely delete a note from a measure with a rebar as necessary in either case. I haven't found anything that remotely allows you to do this.
Regards,

Bob

-------------------

photowriters

Post by photowriters » Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:42 pm

Persistance pays. I found a way to do it is to uncheck Check for extra notes the Simple entry Options dialog box found in the simple entry tool menu and edit as necessary and then using the mass edit tool and to select the staff, selecting Rebar Music in the Rebar submenu of the MassEdit menu.

There may be an easier way, but I haven't found it. The simplest would be for insertion and editing to work like it does in a word processor, just put it in or take it out and everything adjusts automatically.
Regards,

Bob

-------------------

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:22 pm

Actually, in the Simple Entry Options, you should deselect both
"Check for Extra Notes"
and
"Fill With Rests at End of Measure"

Peter
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

photowriters

Post by photowriters » Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:54 am

Matter of fact, that's what I did.
Regards,

Bob

-------------------