Very unstable playback

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

frmars
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Mac

Post by frmars » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:57 pm

Playing a score via finale has been an ordeal so far.

- playing thru Midi usual does no sound.

- I have to "Play thru audio units" and choose randomly some sound bank I have on my mac. Results are erratic.

- Sometimes, I come back to the score later (I am learning a voice), and poof, no sound. Didn't change a thing though. I need to change again the sound bank.

- I need to change the tempo. Seems like basic stuff. But though i change the number in the playback palette, nothing happens. [would really like to solve that one]

- I had to edit the score in Garage band to remove sound volume automation, save it and load it again in finale to be able to adjust volume of tracks separately.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:25 pm

frmars wrote:… playing thru Midi usual does no sound …
If I understand you correctly, you never get playback when you select “Play Finale Through MIDI”, right?
Attach a Finale document here, and let the gurus examine the document.

frmars wrote:… Sometimes, I come back to the score later (I am learning a voice), and poof, no sound. Didn't change a thing though. I need to change again the sound bank …
That is a tough one - since you can not provide exact steps to reproduce the problem.
Have you contacted the folks in MakeMusic’s Tech Support?

frmars wrote:… I need to change the tempo. Seems like basic stuff. But though i change the number in the playback palette, nothing happens …
Three things control the tempo in Finale:

MIDI Tool (= the recorded tempo changes)
Expression Tool (= the expression tempo changes)
Playback Controls

And they work in a hierarchical fashion.

The tempo in the Playback Controls is overridden by an Expression that sets a tempo.
This is overridden by the MIDI Tool, which is at the top of the "Tempo Hierarchy".

Since you want to use the Playback Controls to set the tempo, you must
- clear all Tempo Changes from the document (Edit menu > Clear Selected Items…)
- make sure that the score does not display any expressions with playback effect Tempo.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996