percussion sounds

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Struggler06

Post by Struggler06 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:27 pm

Im using thesamrt music to playback but the percussion sounds dont come out. Is it because the percussion sounds are some where else or what? Anyone out there know how to set up the rowl-off sounds please let me know

marooncadets

Post by marooncadets » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:15 pm

I need a little more information to help you. Are you playing back the finale files in smart music? If the sounds are the percussion sounds created with the rowloff sounds, they may get lost in creating a smart music file.... but I am guessing here.

Setting up the rowloff sounds is pretty easy. The best way to do this is with the set-up wizard. You didn't say what version of finale you are using, so my answers are for Finale 2006 or 2005. Set-up the types of sounds you want here and they will play out in Finale just fine.

If you have to convert to Midi file, the row-loff sounds are lost and replace with GM percussion. (sounds like this maybe what is happening in smart music. Again I am guessing).
write back if you have more questions about row-loff sounds.

Jim

Struggler06

Post by Struggler06 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:25 pm

Im using Finale 2006b

when I set up the score I use the marching percussion
snares
tenors
basses

then on the windows where it ask for the playback device I use the smart music syntersizer thats already programmed but the sounds dont come out i just get the regular gm percussion(which ***) what am I missing?

marooncadets

Post by marooncadets » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:50 pm

Let's try this and see what we get.
Do MIDI>MIDI set-up. The midi out should be the smart music softsynths 1

Struggler06

Post by Struggler06 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:01 am

i get a nice snare sound but the rest are played by piano is there a specific midi channel that I should be using for this???

marooncadets

Post by marooncadets » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:19 pm

Yes, Your channel should be 10 for all percussion. Rowloff uses 10 also, but uses a patch to get the rowloff percussion sounds. 10 is the standard.

Also check your soundcard, it could be gumming things up. Try sounds from other programs. If they sound OK, then the soundcard isn't an issue. Also check the Midi output in windows. You can get some funny sounds this way. It's in the control panel.