arrow in margin

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Jasmine123
Finale Version: PC 2003a

Post by Jasmine123 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:23 pm

An arrow displays in the margin of one of my Finale files, a little above the staff, and I don't know <sheepishly> what it represents. Can anyone help explain what it's for?
Common sense is as rare as genius.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:58 pm

Assuming that you are using Finale 2006:

1. My first guess is that the arrow was created in the Measure Tool as an option in the Measure Attributes for the first measure of that system:
"Begin a New Staff System"

As the text says, this option ensures that the measure is always positioned as the first measure of a system somewhere in the document, no matter how you change the layout.

To verify, switch to Measure Tool, and double-click the first measure of the system.

This "Begin a New Staff System" option is often used in the first measure of a Coda.

2. My second guess is that it's created in the Page Layout Tool as a Page Break.
The symbol for Page Break is a little different, since it's an arrow inside a page icon.
It ensures that the system is always positioned as the first system of a page somewhere in the document, no matter how you change the layout.

To verify, switch to Page Layout Tool, click the system to select it, and look in the Page Layout menu.
The menu item "Insert Page Break" should now be greyed out, and the menu item "Delete Page Break" should not be greyed out.

Instead of going to the Page Layout menu, you can also use the context menu.

Page Break is often used in the first system after a page turn (in an extracted part).

Peter
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Jasmine123
Finale Version: PC 2003a

Post by Jasmine123 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:33 pm

Yes, Peter, the arrow had been created by the Measure Tool at some point in time, although I don't remember when I created it. Thanks for your suggestions.
Common sense is as rare as genius.