Demo limitations? Can't get SmartShape to work

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

BlairSF65
Operating System: Windows

Post by BlairSF65 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:34 pm

Hi!

I downloaded the most recent version of Finale Demo last night... and for some reason could not get any of the Smartshapes to work. I tried to add slurs, and brackets. I read the online help, to make sure I was following procedure. After selecting the appropriate tool, I double-click/hold and drag from the 1st note, but the slur (or bracket) doesn't draw. I just get a dotted outline of a selected area that dissappears as soon as I release the mouse button.

Do you think this could be because it's the Demo version? Any thoughts on what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks!
Blair

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:37 pm

No, it’s certainly not the demo.

If you choose the Slur tool, and just double-click on a note, does it draw a slur to the next one?
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

BlairSF65

Post by BlairSF65 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:20 pm

Hi!

I tried that too! None of the Smartshapes seem to work... I can't do slurs, or cresendos, brackets... nada. Articulations work, but nothing under the "Smartshapes" tool.

At work currently... when I get home I will take some screenshots.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:37 am

BlairSF65 wrote:I just get a dotted outline of a selected area that dissappears as soon as I release the mouse button.
Either you're not pointing at a note, or you're not doing the double-click-drag right, though the crescendo should work with or without notes present. You may be double-clicking too slowly. The double-click speed should be a setting in your OS.