Frustration with Tuplets

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

mark carlson
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by mark carlson » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:11 am

I'm editing a piece in which many tuplet brackets/numbers are on the wrong side of the notes. I have it clearly set for them to be on the stem/beam side, but inexplicably, they are sometimes on the note side. If I try to manually move them to the other side, I have to also manually change the direction of the hooks and also move the number, and it is painstaking. If I delete the tuplet and re-create it, the same thing happens, even though I have it clearly set for the brackets to be on the stem side.

If I reset it to have the bracket "below", if the stems are down, it places it on the correct side, but then if I try to move it closer to the stems, it actually moves them the wrong direction!

This used to happen with ancient versions of Finale, but it hasn't been a problem for a long time. I suppose this current problem could have to do with whatever version of Finale I was using when I first copied this piece, but I have no idea when I did it.

Can anyone explain why it is happening and how I can fix it? I can, of course, edit each one "by hand", but it is time-consuming, and besides, there just has to be a way for this not to happen.

I'm attaching a movement I am editing now. You can find examples all over, but some examples are m. 32 in the bass clarinet and bassoons. In mm. 36-38, you'll even see the weirdness of the brackets being on the correct side, but the hooks are point the wrong direction.

Any insights and help will be much appreciated!

Mark

Mac OS 10.14.2
Finale 26

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:10 am

I used the Change Tuplet utility and set them to what I use. See what you think.

motet

Post by motet » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:15 am

Oops, I didn't mean to set "manual slope adjustment." I thought it said "maximum slope." I don't think it matters much, but if something is a little too sloped, that's why.

mark carlson

Post by mark carlson » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:34 pm

motet wrote:I used the Change Tuplet utility and set them to what I use. See what you think.
Thanks! Your version looks fine to me, but I used the Change Tuplet utility, too, and made sure I had it set the same as you did. The attached is what I got: One of the brackets that was on the note side stayed put, and one moved to the stem side but is upside-down. See attached screenshot.

Do I have some kind of bug in my Finale that no one else has, or something?

Mark

motet

Post by motet » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:19 pm

That is odd. Can you run it again on the file you attached above (which I used) and double-check the settings? Make sure white boxes are really white (not half-filled) and checked boxes are really checked.

mark carlson

Post by mark carlson » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:29 pm

motet wrote:That is odd. Can you run it again on the file you attached above (which I used) and double-check the settings? Make sure white boxes are really white (not half-filled) and checked boxes are really checked.
I just did, and it turned out the same as before. Damn! I'll attach the Change Tuplet Utility box as I used it. Maybe you can see something I am doing wrong.

M

motet

Post by motet » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:39 pm

Check "Enhanced Tuplets" (called "Engraver Tuplets" in my version) and pick "Never bracket beamed notes on beam side."

motet

Post by motet » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:42 pm

(I also didn't use "allow horizontal drag," but that's probably not it.

mark carlson

Post by mark carlson » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:02 pm

motet wrote:Check "Enhanced Tuplets" (called "Engraver Tuplets" in my version) and pick "Never bracket beamed notes on beam side."
Thanks, again! That got it much closer to what it should be. I had to drag 2 of the brackets so that they were on the opposite side, but they were facing the right direction this time. This will be much easier now.

M

mark carlson

Post by mark carlson » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:43 am

I'm still struggling with these tuplets. After being out of town for 5 days, I came back to this and realized it was going to be easier to just redo all of the bracketed triplets in this piece, and so I tried getting the settings right in Document Options for tuplets. I've gotten pretty close, but I can neither get the right distance of the bracket from the stems, nor can I get the number vertically centered in the break of the bracket: the bracket is always too far from the stems, and the number is always too far above (if the stems are going down) or too far below (if the stems are going up).

How can I set things in advance so that I don't have to do so much manual adjustment of every one of them?

Attached is a screenshot of how things are ending up.

Thanks,

Mark
OS 10.14.2
Finale 26

mark carlson

Post by mark carlson » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:49 am

It probably would be helpful to see how I have things set for tuplets.

motet

Post by motet » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:34 am

Inches or centimeters? The settings I posted above seem to work well for me.

mark carlson

Post by mark carlson » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:15 am

motet wrote:Inches or centimeters? The settings I posted above seem to work well for me.
I'm using inches. I think I have figured it out, but I don't really understand it. I've just fiddled with the numbers until it looks the way I want, and I realize that I have to make some manual adjustments of the slant of the bracket.

But I sincerely can't figure out, either by reading the manual or by experimenting, what these refer to exactly:

1. tuplet, horizontal vertical--adjusting this changes the distance of the bracket to the stems?
2. shape, horizontal vertical--adjusting this changes where the number sits in the gap in the bracket?

The attached settings seem to be as close as I can get to what I want.