GPO5 and v25 help

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

jifbell
Finale Version: 2012, 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by jifbell » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:38 pm

Hello,

A couple years ago I upgraded from 2012 to v25 for my windows computer, and I really only recently got around to using v25. Along with it I bought GPO5 and I'm just trying to familiarize myself with it. I have a few questions:

1. How do I make it so GPO5 is the default sound bank, so I don't have to adjust it for each instrument every time I create a new piece?

2. For strings, I notice a gap between notes when they're not slurred together, that is, there's not a smooth transition between notes. I tried increasing the "release" in the Aria player, but then when I want to do shorter or staccato notes the increased release negates the shortness. How do I get the length I want on longer notes while keeping shortness on short notes?

3. The "home" button on the playback controls doesn't work and I haven't found a fix. Anyone have any suggestions?

That's all I can think of for now, although I may have more down the road. I appreciate your help in advance!

jifbell

Post by jifbell » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:30 am

Sorry to bump, but I really would appreciate any help with this.

ttw
Finale Version: 27.4

Post by ttw » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:30 am

I'm not sure how to make it default, but there is a method (I don't remember the exact steps but it's easy) to tell Finale the order of VST libraries to search. (I think should have written that in German.)

For the strings (and other instruments) I use the Human Playback and slur the connected notes. It works well enough that I can hear it.

gogreen
Finale Version: Finale 26.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by gogreen » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:12 pm

2. For strings, I notice a gap between notes when they're not slurred together, that is, there's not a smooth transition between notes. I tried increasing the "release" in the Aria player, but then when I want to do shorter or staccato notes the increased release negates the shortness. How do I get the length I want on longer notes while keeping shortness on short notes?
I've struggled with this issue. Woodwinds and brass have the same problem--by default, all the notes sound tied, so there's no breathing!

I've toyed with juggling a lot of settings in Human Playback, in applying different defined styles, applying specific elements, and in toggling clearing some MIDI data. Sadly, I don't think there's a cure-all for this problem. You have to experiment. Yes, it's time-consuming and frustrating. I suggest starting with HP's "standard" defined style and then checking or unchecking different combinations of specific elements.

When I've gotten the playback as close as I can to what I want, I then often adjust individual note durations to make more believable breathing spaces and phrasing. In fact, I have FinaleScripts that shorten note durations by various percents to make this task a bit easier.

Remember to go into Human Playback by way of the MIDI tool. At the bottom of the MIDI tool's drop-down menu, check "Apply Human Playback."

I should add that after I use my FinaleScripts to adjust note durations, I also highlight groups of notes and in MIDI Tool > Note Durations > Randomize, and I add plus and minus note values. This subtle change gives human playback a much more, well, human playback. This action can be much more fine-tuned in a DAW, but I don't use a DAW.
Art
Finale 27
NotePerformer, GPO5, COMB2
MacOS Ventura 13.6.4
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BRHBTHT/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=%22Arthur+J.+Michaels%22&qid=1593016536&sr=8-2

jifbell

Post by jifbell » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:05 am

Thanks for your suggestions guys, I'll try playing around with those settings a little bit more and hope I have success!