Position dynamics

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

bryla
Finale Version: 26
Operating System: Mac

Post by bryla » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:58 am

How do I position gradual and sudden dynamics so that the ppp and p lign up under a note but then also that the hairpins start and end next to the p's.

At this point it seems like the hairpins snaps to either beat so that it is either a beat off or right on top of the p.
Skærmbillede 2019-04-17 07.57.35.png
Mac OS X Finale V25

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:01 am

Uncheck "Snap When Attaching to Beats" in the Smart Shape menu.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

bryla
Finale Version: 26

Post by bryla » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:26 am

Thanks!

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:43 am

bryla wrote:How do I position gradual and sudden dynamics so that the ppp and p lign up …
If I understand you correctly, you need the ppp and the p to have the same Vertical position in the layout, right?

You can precisely adjust the Vertical Offset (from the Alignment Point) via the dialog box Expression Assignment:
Drag-select the expression’s handle, and hit Shift-Return (or get there via the context menu: Edit Expression Assignment…)

A particular problem arises where one expression’s Alignment Point is vertically offset from an entry, and the other expression’s Alignment Point has a different vertical offset (e. g. because the Alignment Point is not vertically offset from an entry).
In this case the two expressions need different Vertical Offsets, to be at the same Vertical position.

Here is the secret:
The difference in Vertical Offset between the two expressions must be an integer multiple of 3 Points (= the height of a scale step).

Example:
If one expression has a Vertical Offset of 3pt, then the other must be positioned at -6pt, or -3pt, or zero, or 3pt, or 6pt, &c.

Finding the correct value is “trial-and-error”, but you are not shooting completely in the dark.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996