Creating new Chord symbols

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

gdgross
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by gdgross » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:58 pm

Hi all, i'm into the finale copyist font lately, nice and clear, easy to read. Looks great. So i've made a new lead sheet template for myself using that font. Mostly all is well, but I'm trying to create new chord symbols that don't come with the normal library. For example, the delta symbol for maj7, and a simple -, m, m7 etc for minor chords.

Most recently I wanted to create a m7(b5) symbol, so i duplicated the mi7(b5) symbol, and edited it. I deleted the the "i", but the rest of the extension disappears (the 7(b5) bit) when i close the box and try to save the extension, leaving me with just the "m".

It would be easier to duplicate and edit the symbols rather than make them from scratch, so any idea what's happening here?

Thanks!
GEoff
http://www.merlotembargo.com

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:45 pm

gdgross wrote:… Most recently I wanted to create a m7(b5) symbol, so i duplicated the mi7(b5) symbol, and edited it. I deleted the the "i", but the rest of the extension disappears (the 7(b5) bit) when i close the box and try to save the extension, leaving me with just the "m" …
The culprit is that you deleted the “i”, leaving that character slot empty.

Finale interprets an empty slot as “here the suffix ends”.

Fix:
When you have deleted the “i”, move the following characters - 7(b5) - one slot to the left.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

gdgross
Finale Version: 27

Post by gdgross » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:18 am

THanks! will have to figure out how to move them over :-)
http://www.merlotembargo.com