How can I make adjustments in a part affect the score?

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

tenfour
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by tenfour » Thu May 02, 2019 10:36 am

I am arranging for orchestra and big band. I would like to fine-tune from the instrument parts and have these adjustments (like expression placement, accidentals) automatically change in the conductor's score. Currently if I'm editing the "Flute" part for example and want to fix an accidental, it turns orange and the conductor's score will still have the problem.

Is it possible to do this? How?

In my workflow, with so many staves and voices, I want to do as much arranging as possible from within parts, not the full score. I create parts with limited staves for "big picture" work, harmonizing winds, tuning the rhythm section. If, during these stages of my workflow, I want to change a chord placement or fix an accidental, I have to go to the full score, make the change, and switch back to the part. It's super disruptive and seems unnecessary.

thanks for the help!

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Thu May 02, 2019 1:55 pm

To apply the changes made in a part to the score, hold the Ctrl key (Win) or Cmd (Mac).
(With that key, the item will not turn orange)
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

tenfour

Post by tenfour » Thu May 02, 2019 2:21 pm

michelp wrote:...hold the Ctrl key (Win) or Cmd (Mac).
(With that key, the item will not turn orange)
This works for movable items, but not for enharmonics. Is there another method for enharmonic accidentals?

*EDIT: I mean in speedy edit, I hit "9" to switch between enharmonics. This turns the note orange and doesn't reflect the enharmonic change in the score.

thank you!

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Thu May 02, 2019 7:05 pm

Try changing those notes with the repitch tool instead.

tenfour

Post by tenfour » Fri May 03, 2019 12:46 pm

Excellent - this seems like a reasonable compromise!