Making DS, coda, and repeat signs show in all parts

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

diannapianna88
Finale Version: 2014.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by diannapianna88 » Wed May 22, 2019 7:34 am

Hi, All,
I am using Finale 2014.5 with Windows. I have 4 different horn parts, piano, guitar, and bass. The DS, coda, and repeat signs are not showing on all parts. I think it has something to do with grouping, but I can't figure out how to ungroup. Three of my horns are brass, and the above-mentioned signs only show up on the trumpet part, as it is first in the group. I did not knowingly group instruments together. I am tired of having to proofread so carefully to make sure all signs are present in all parts. What can I do to permanently avoid this problem? Thanks.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed May 22, 2019 10:27 am

diannapianna88,

Your question is well known.
It comes from time to time.

1) The first thing to try:
Staff Tool.
Double-click the first staff.
You get to the dialog box Staff Attributes where you - via a pop up menu - can go through the Staff Attributes for each and every staff.
The pop up menu is at the top of the Staff Attributes.

For each staff, take a look in the pane Items to Display.
Is the option {Endings and Text Repeats} checked or un-checked?

2) To make a text repeat in the score show on certain staves only, use the dialog box Repeat Assignment (context-click the repeat’s handle; in the context menu choose Edit Repeat Assignment…).
At the bottom of the dialog box you can specify which staff (or staves) that should show the text repeat.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

diannapianna88
Finale Version: 2014.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by diannapianna88 » Thu May 23, 2019 6:04 am

Thank you ever so much, Peter! I will make a screen shot of your reply so that I will have it with me always. You have just saved me so much frustration.