finale and cubase

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

scorn

Post by scorn » Sat May 25, 2019 11:18 am

hi
i've been using cubase for a while and finale too , and i always have the same problem when it comes to write down the score
of course cubase is worthless at scoring , so i write the whole score on finale

can you tell me the best and fastest solution to write the score from cubase?
i heard that there is dorico , does anyone ever tried this soft , and is it worthit compared to finale?

i tried to export a file from cubase and import it through finale , never worked so far..

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Sat May 25, 2019 11:37 am

Have you tried to export a MusicXML file from Cubase, a format that Finale can import ?
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

MikeHalloran
Finale Version: 27

Post by MikeHalloran » Mon May 27, 2019 4:02 pm

Dorico does not integrate into Cubase according to the many complaints on the Dorico forum. It’s on the list of things to be done someday...

Dorico’s MusicXML implementation leaves a lot to be desired — improvement is also on the list, hopefully with a higher priority.

Cubase Pro is the only version that supports MusicXML. Here is the feature list from Steinberg Support:
https://steinberg.help/cubase_pro_artis ... ing_c.html
Mike Halloran

Finale 27.3, SmartScore X2 Pro, GPO5 & World Instruments
MacOS Ventura 13.2.1; 2017 iMac Pro 18 Core, 128G RAM, 4TB; 2021 MBAir M1
NotePerformer3, Dorico 4, Overture, Notion 6, DP 11, Logic Pro

scorn

Post by scorn » Mon May 27, 2019 4:37 pm

ok
i think that the dream of exporting a file from cubase or nuendo and opening it in finale , will never happen
it should be sooooo good , not to have to write down all the tracks , just click and go
nothing is easy in this cruel world Image

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Mon May 27, 2019 5:05 pm

How about MIDI files? Then you'll at least have the notes. That's a time saver of sorts.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Mon May 27, 2019 5:42 pm

Or, as Mike mentioned, update to Cubase PRO, which handles MusicXML.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

apkyburz
Finale Version: 26 (+TG, Pattsn, JW)

Post by apkyburz » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:02 pm

A late post, but you might consider Tim Davies' approach.

He's an AA motion-picture orchestrator/conductor and his professional life is centered around putting film-composer's DAW-files into Finale.

Here is his video about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeCuJfXhS9s&t=2757s

He works from DP to finale, but I adapted his workflow to Cubase.

Feel free to shoot me a pm if you have any questions about it, I might be able to help you.

Cheers

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:29 am

scorn wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 11:18 am
can you tell me the best and fastest solution to write the score from cubase?
i heard that there is dorico , does anyone ever tried this soft , and is it worthit compared to finale?
Here's Alan Silvestri's workflow from Cubase to Dorico.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrDqGEQux7g

Currently, you can drag MIDI directly from Cubase into Dorico. Markers and Tempo tracks in MIDI files are also imported.
Dorico imports XML very well, but exports it poorly.

dankreider
Finale Version: Finale 25.5

Post by dankreider » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:58 pm

Dorico 3.1, which just came out, greatly improves XML import. I’d call it quite functional now, though of course there’s always room for improvement.
Finale 25.5
Windows 10
Garritan mostly
General Editor at gracemusic.us

MikeHalloran

Post by MikeHalloran » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:04 am

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I agree only with the exports…poorly part.
dankreider wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:58 pm
Dorico 3.1, which just came out, greatly improves XML import. I’d call it quite functional now, though of course there’s always room for improvement.
Dan is right. Dorico 3.1 is much improved in this regard but still not as good as Notion 6 or Finale—yet?

There's a composer I work with whose Sibelius scores I realize by importing his MusicXML into Notion 6, assigning or replacing VIs and record. I don't use Notion for anything else but it is a fantastic tool for this use and worth every penny of the $79 crossgrade. Finale works but Notion saves me many hours per project. My client could also pay the $79, of course, but he doesn't have the thou$and$ invested in VI libraries that I have so he prefers to pay me to do this.
Mike Halloran

scorn

Post by scorn » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:04 am

thanks y'all , i've never heard of notion , i'm gonne check this out , (again hours of learning the software , but if it worthit , then i'll do that)

apkyburz

Post by apkyburz » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:23 pm

MikeHalloran wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:04 am
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I agree only with the exports…poorly part.
dankreider wrote:
Dan is right. Dorico 3.1 is much improved in this regard but still not as good as Notion 6 or Finale—yet?

There's a composer I work with whose Sibelius scores I realize by importing his MusicXML into Notion 6, assigning or replacing VIs and record. I don't use Notion for anything else but it is a fantastic tool for this use and worth every penny of the $79 crossgrade. Finale works but Notion saves me many hours per project. My client could also pay the $79, of course, but he doesn't have the thou$and$ invested in VI libraries that I have so he prefers to pay me to do this.
Hi Mike,

Your workflow sounds very appealing. Do you have videos or a blog where you elaborate?

Best,

MikeHalloran

Post by MikeHalloran » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:11 am

apkyburz wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:23 pm
MikeHalloran wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:04 am
dankreider wrote:

Hi Mike,

Your workflow sounds very appealing. Do you have videos or a blog where you elaborate?

Best,
No I don’t but it wouldn’t be that hard to do.

Unfortunately, spare time is a precious commodity. I’m spending a huge number of hours helping churches do services online. If I ever work with my choirs and bands in person again, it would be fun to knock something out. I wouldn’t use one of my clients’ scores, of course, but I could outline what a one-page test score should include to demonstrate the principles involved.

Thing is that while doing this online work, I’ve picked up a number of tips and tricks that make creating such videos easier so I’d like to get into that.
Mike Halloran

apkyburz

Post by apkyburz » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:52 pm

MikeHalloran wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:11 am

No I don’t but it wouldn’t be that hard to do.

Unfortunately, spare time is a precious commodity. I’m spending a huge number of hours helping churches do services online. If I ever work with my choirs and bands in person again, it would be fun to knock something out. I wouldn’t use one of my clients’ scores, of course, but I could outline what a one-page test score should include to demonstrate the principles involved.

Thing is that while doing this online work, I’ve picked up a number of tips and tricks that make creating such videos easier so I’d like to get into that.
Sounds great, Mike! If you ever get to it, give me a shout! Looking forward.

Best,
apkyburz

pgdaskalakis
Finale Version: finale 25

Post by pgdaskalakis » Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:55 pm

Cubase is limited for scoring; use Dorico for a dedicated solution. Export Cubase files as MusicXML for Finale. Dorico, by Steinberg, integrates well with Cubase. Try different software like Sibelius to find what suits your workflow best. Happy scoring!
https://t.me/pump_upp

heinzfan

Post by heinzfan » Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:54 pm

pgdaskalakis wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:55 pm
Cubase is limited for scoring; ...Export Cubase files as MusicXML for Finale....
That seems backward to me. Print from Finale and export a midi file to import into Cubase. That preserves Human Playback which can then be finessed in Cubase for a playback file.
Finale 27, Windows 10, VST: Vienna Instruments/Ensemble/Synchron, Cubase, Kontakt 5

Corpsegrinder
Finale Version: Finale 2015

Post by Corpsegrinder » Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:39 pm

I've been in a similar spot, juggling Cubase and Finale for scoring. It's true; Cubase isn't the best for scoring directly. Regarding Dorico, I've heard good things about it and how it integrates better with Cubase compared to Finale, but I haven't tried it.

I recently switched to Cubase 13, and it's been a better experience for me. The new Channel Tab is handy for quick access to mixing settings from the main window. Also, the MixConsole got a nice makeover, making it easier and more pleasant to work with. The new tools for vocal processing, like the Steinberg Vocoder and EQ plugins, are excellent for adding some polish to vocals. For more detailed info on Cubase 13's features, you might want to check out https://faqaudio.com/t/cubase-13/30. In my experience, it’s been a significant upgrade from the previous versions.

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:31 pm

Corpsegrinder wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:39 pm
Regarding Dorico, I've heard good things about it and how it integrates better with Cubase compared to Finale, but I haven't tried it.
There's no specific integration between Dorico and Cubase yet. You can drag MIDI directly from Cubase into Dorico (or from any other app that supports dragging). And MusicXML between the two is flawless. But some greater degree of connection between the two is certainly on the cards. I'd be very surprised if Dorico 6 doesn't have some DAW-connectivity features; and they have a track record of adding surprising and impressively powerful features.

The latest versions of Sibelius and Pro Tools now offer MIDI copy-and-paste through the clipboard. This works in either direction, with any other app that supports it. Finale has had MIDI-via-pasteboard for donkeys' years, though I'm not sure why, as no other app seems to have supported it until now. (I did ask MM if they knew of any other apps that would receive MIDI over the pasteboard, and they didn't.)

Notion and Presonus, I believe, also have some 'live updating' between the two.

Finale is somewhat at a disadvantage by not have a tame stablemate DAW that it can be paired with.

Logic doesn't import/export MIDI data on the pasteboard with other apps at the moment.