can't edit word extensions

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

mulberry9
Finale Version: 25.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by mulberry9 » Thu May 30, 2019 3:15 am

Finale 25; windows 10

I can't shorten, or get rid of, some lyric extensions. I have extensions showing on hyphenated words: the unwanted extension runs from the first part of the word, underneath the second part of the hyphenated word (the second syllable). When I try to get rid of it, I get additional extensions. I can't seem to shorten it either.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Thu May 30, 2019 4:16 am

It sounds like it could be a couple of different things going on. One is that you have different verses launched, and one verse is having the extensions because there isn't another syllable close by to stop it. That seems unlikely, as the second verse would be at a different level (lower) than the first verse. However, one could be verse one and the other could be chorus one, and yet another could be section one.

Another possibility is that you've attached some lyrics to one layer and some to another.

If we could examine a file, I'm sure we might be able to find the problem quickly. Is this possible?

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Djard » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:47 pm

Pardon the obvious question, but you did select "Edit Word Extensions" from the "Lyrics" text menu and have a handle shown at the end of each extension; and you have the correct verse selected in the "Lyrics" windows?

Bill Stevens
Finale Version: Using 26, testing 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by Bill Stevens » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:00 pm

My advice (which is not popular on this forum): Don't use word extensions.

I use slurs instead of word extensions, and only use word extensions in the rare case that it clarifies something.

::: Bill
Version 26.3 / 27.4 / Mac OS 10.15.5 Catalina
Finale user since the beginning of time.

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Djard » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:02 am

Bill, the fact that you respond is valuable in itself to someone reaching out for help. I like word extensions, but your suggestion is food for thought.