"Hawaiian" Steel Guitar Bend

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Lukario45
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by Lukario45 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:02 pm

Hey, didn't know if I should post here or in general. On youtube (I cant post URLs yet, reasonably so) in a video called "Ka'ahumanu. Hawaiian Steel Guitar." the player is very seamlessly sliding between some of his pitches. Is there any way I can replicate this in the playback? Right now I am using a gliss between the two pitches, but it is adding an odd pitch (it's causing my subwoofer to rumble even though I am high in the treble clef) and is loosing volume, but is sorta getting the sound I want, it's just choppy.

The piece I am working on is not for any performance, so I don't care how it looks if I have to do it manually somehow. I would really prefer to not have to use an outside program for the recording of the music files.

Thanks

Btw its finale v25 on windows 10

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Djard » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:37 pm

The Guitar Bend tool in Smart Shape palette renders up and down bends; but, to the best of my knowledge, only when certain instruments are selected. For instance:

MIDI/Audio -> Play through VST or MIDI,
MIDI/Audio -> Human Playback -> Standard
Window -> Score Manager -> Electric Guitar (Clean)

You may need to write a short sustained note to delay the bend for the proper phrasing.

Hope this helps

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Djard » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:00 pm

The "Tab Slide Tool" in the Smart Shape palette offers a true portamento slide (smoother than gliss.) that might be perfect for your needs. Double-click on the first note(s) and the glide effect will be applied to the next note(s). If the natural hesitation in the slide is too long for your liking, shorten the start note.

Like with Gliss., playback of the slide cannot be applied if the slide commences on a tied note.