Text size and fonts..make your own default?

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

jjvibes
Finale Version: V.26
Operating System: Windows

Post by jjvibes » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:22 pm

Hello all, just wondering when using text for various reasons. (I.e. creating worksheets giving directions to musicians can you have a special default for font size and particular font?

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:28 pm

You can set up whatever you want in your default documents. Or, you could set up a new category in expressions, and use that for all of your text inserts. Again, that would have to be in your default docs.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Djard » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:53 pm

Here are the details if you need them:

1. Document (upper text menu) -> Document Options -> Fonts.
2. From "Text" drop-down menu in right pane, select "Text Block."
3. From "Set Font" drop down menu, select font, typeface and size as desired. For example, Times New Roman, Regular, 12 pt.
4. OK -> Apply -> OK.
5. Double-click where you wish to insert text.
6. Click once in blank area to clear highlighting.
7. Drag handle of text to desired location. Use arrow keys for precision.

Canned Man
Finale Version: 27.3.0.137

Post by Canned Man » Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:16 pm

Hello, everyone!

(Thus my official greeting and first post on this forum.)

I thought it better that I ask my question in this related post, rather than create a new one; I hope that is alright.

I love good typography; I am the kind who reads Robert Bringhurst whilst enjoying breakfast. (Yes, I actually do that.) I have as of yet not found any way of setting OpenType features in Finale. How can I do this? Also, when setting the different default fonts (as advised in this thread), which parts of the document get the Text style? Is that for all text that is not lyrics, notation and chords?
Ligatures.jpeg
Missing ligatures. Several problems, not least the fi and ff ligatures missing here. Kerning is also not the best, as in ke in ‘make’ and wo in ‘two’. The optional Th ligature (hated and loved equally) is not present either. All these features are things I know for a fact is present in this font, but which I cannot do anything to change here, not even by pasting the Unicode ligatures into the text (at least not for ffl).
As a comment, it might be worth mentioning that when I set my default fonts in e.g. LibreOffice, I define both ligatures and number style, all in one go, e.g.

Code: Select all

EB Garamond:liga&calt&onum&pnum
for common ligatures, contextual alternatives and text figures with proportional width.
Finale 27.3.0.137 / Windows 10 (64-bit). Organist, piano teacher (beginners, intermediate), hobby composer.
LibreOffice; Opera GX; DOOM, Pharaoh, Command & Conquer and Quake; reborn Quake mapper on Trenchbroom.

John Ruggero
Finale Version: Finale 25.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by John Ruggero » Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:39 am

Finale can't even do perfect justification and requires special keystrokes for curly quotes, so I doubt it can do anything more subtle. Maybe I am wrong. In any case, if the text becomes at all complex, I take the project into InDesign or Affinity Publisher.
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

"The better the composer, the better the notation."

Canned Man
Finale Version: 27.3.0.137

Post by Canned Man » Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:34 pm

That is a not unexpected reply. It is sad that a programme costing this much doesn’t even support basic OpenType features. Thanks for the reply!
Finale 27.3.0.137 / Windows 10 (64-bit). Organist, piano teacher (beginners, intermediate), hobby composer.
LibreOffice; Opera GX; DOOM, Pharaoh, Command & Conquer and Quake; reborn Quake mapper on Trenchbroom.