Instrument missing when extracting parts of ensemble

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:47 pm

When I go to extract the parts of my score, checking "All" in the "Extract Parts" window, the guitar part is missing (see attached).

But in the "Manage Parts" panel, I see Guitar in the "Available Instruments" panel listed (see attached). Any way to get Finale to include the guitar part when extracting the instruments?
Attachments
Manage Parts.jpg
Manage Parts.jpg (35.6 KiB) Viewed 2801 times
Extract Parts.jpg
Extract Parts.jpg (52.47 KiB) Viewed 2801 times

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:56 pm

"Parts" and "Instruments" are different. You need to make a new part for Guitar like you did for Synth. (You can rename "Part 6" "Synth" if you want). From the (first) Manage Parts screen, click "New Part" (not "Edit Part Definition") to make your guitar part.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:58 pm

If you haven't edited the parts themselves, you can instead check Generate Parts and delete all the existing parts and make a nice shiny new set, one for each of your instruments, with the proper names, with the music from the score.

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Djard » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:56 am

For me, the first option fails; but I may not be following you correctly. The second option works, albeit with a bug.

In option 2, some of the documents extracted have diagonal lines (see attached). Finale never ceases to surprise me with some oddity.

OPTION 1
1. File -> Extract Parts -> Manage Parts.
2. New Part (lower left) -> New Part -> with the "Part #" highlighted, click on "Edit Part Name."
3. Type in name of the instrument -> OK.
4. Use the Up/Down buttons on right side of "Linked Parts" panel to place the instrument in the correct order (as in the score) -> OK.

OPTION 2
1. File -> Extract Parts -> Manage Parts.
2. Delete all the parts -> Generate Parts. The "Linked Parts" panel will become populated, reflecting the list in the "Available Instruments" panel at right.
3. OK -> select parts to extract -> OK.

Thanks for lending me a hand.
Attachments
Just Wanderin' - Bass.mus
(172.22 KiB) Downloaded 131 times