Unable to delete a rest

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:21 pm

I have a rest on the second beat in a 2/4 measure in layer 4 but no rest on the first beat. I used the Erase tool to delete it, but the moment I continue working, the rest re-appears. I think this problem is a bug that manifests whenever copying and pasting only parts of a measure. In the past, right-clicking on a stubborn note or rest then selecteing "Delete" worked. Not this time. Any other way to delete the rest, without clearing all the items and re-entering the notation in layer 1?

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:26 pm

Turn off Fill with Rests in simple Entry Options. If that doesn't help, delete the rest, but tap the delete key once or twice more, to see if there is something hidden in the measure.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:30 pm

Djard wrote:… I used the Erase tool to delete it, but the moment I continue working, the rest re-appears …
From your description it sounds like you are using the Simple Entry Tool, right?

Some ideas:

1) Selection Tool.
Double-click the rest.
Finale will switch to the Simple Entry Tool, with the rest selected - so that you can delete it, via the delete key.

2) You could try the Speedy Entry Tool.
I can not promise that it is possible to delete the rest with the Speedy Entry Tool, but it could not hurt to try it.

3) Document menu > Show Active Layer Only
Show Active Layer Only also means Edit Active Layer Only.
When you have selected Show Active Layer Only, and switched to Layer 4, you should be able to see the Layer 4 rest only (with Layer 1 not showing).
Now you should be able to clear Layer 4, without affecting Layer 1.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:21 pm

The Show Active Layer option worked. I was also able to effectively delete the rest in Edit Frame.

Thanks for the help to all.