Cue notes not playing back?

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

GarryW
Finale Version: 2014.5 and 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by GarryW » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:57 am

The notes in the attached test file do not generate any sound when I play the file back. I can't see a reason why. The file is a simplified extract from a much larger work.

Help? I need the playback to work.

Here's something that might have something to do with it: When I look at the XML for the file, the notes in question all have "<cue/>" markings on them. When I remove the "<cue/>" (on a small sample file), by hand, the notes do start playing back. Unfortunately, I cannot simply remove the "<cue/>" markings on the XML for the entire large original source file, because my Finale is unable to read back in the large XML file that it writes out. It dies.

So... is there a way to globally turn off this "<cue/>" property from within Finale? Or, is there some other setting somewhere that might control the playback of "<cue/>" notes? Can't find it in the manual.

Thank you for any help.

(For what it's worth: I do have an "Add Cue Notes" plugin installed on my Finale. I don't remember if I've ever used it. And, I'm running Finale 2014.5 on a 32-bit Windows machine.)

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:33 am

When I look in the Speedy Edit Frame, Playback is unchecked for these two notes. Check Playback in the Frame to get playback. Or, use Jari's JW Change plugin to easily do it in one simple operation.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

GarryW
Finale Version: 2014.5 and 26

Post by GarryW » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:58 pm

Turns out that "Document / Document Options / Layers / Playback" was turned off for the layer in question. I had completely forgotten about that one -- I *normally* use the Score Manager, instead, to control Layer playback.

To reiterate: the Score "muting" must be "off" and the Document "playback" must be "on" for the sound for a layer to have a chance of coming out. Any other combination gives silence. My reference to "cue notes" turns out to have been a red herring.

The difference between a "Score" and a "Document" can be a little mysterious in Finale... and as for those "Frame" and "Cue" settings: yipes! Too many ways of doing things! Too many historical accidents! Perhaps someday Finale could receive a house-cleaning.....

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:32 am

In this file (the one posted) Layer 1 was set to play back, so I am not sure what you are talking about. Are you sure you posted the correct file? This one has only 2 notes.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:56 am

The plug-in puts cue notes in layer 4. I don't want cues to play back since they're not part of the music, so I turn off playback for that layer. Perhaps whoever created your XML file did the same.

Sounds like you've solved it, but I guess I'd be wary of editing the XML file.