Transposing Notes to Show Correctly on Percussion Clef

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

filmcomposer
Finale Version: 26.1.0.484
Operating System: Mac

Post by filmcomposer » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:17 am

I've a 1-line percussion clef. If a percussionist plays more than one instrument, then its usual to put note heads on the same line, and then just to indicate the change of instrument above.

Having been imported from an XML file, my percussion clef is currently looking like this:
transposed_perc.jpg
I want to transpose the 'cabasa' notes up, so that they show on the percussion line. When I select the notes and try to transpose, nothing happens! :shock: How can I mass-select these notes and get them to position themselves sensibly on the central line?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:23 pm

I would edit the Percussion Layout.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:17 pm

Generally, when the notes are as in your picture, it's better to first use the Transpose Percussion Notes feature in the Utilities menu. After that, fine tuning can be done in the Percussion Layout. Chances are that will save some work. With percussion, however, that is not always the case. Finale can be elusively problematic when trying to coordinate Layouts with Maps. If you can post a file for us to examine, that might be helpful in giving us something on which to apply tests. However, if you are using a Percussion Map that we don't have (me in particular), then that might prevent us from developing a plan of attack.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."