Tips for structuring practice session

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

djdillyc
Operating System: Mac

Post by djdillyc » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:51 pm

Hello,

I wrote a piece and just had a lesson with three fellow students who are going to be playing it. We played through the piece once through and then replayed tricky parts.

My thing is I am bad at telling others what to do. How can I make these sessions effective? It’s tricky for me to know exactly what to focus on.

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:26 pm

I adhere to the saying that a good teacher imparts good information, but a superior teacher leads the student to discovery of the good information. The latter takes longer but, I think, builds the student. Asking questions that lead to intended discovery also fosters deep respect.

gogreen
Finale Version: Finale 26.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by gogreen » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:52 pm

My thing is I am bad at telling others what to do. How can I make these sessions effective? It’s tricky for me to know exactly what to focus on.
That's why teachers make lesson plans--outlines and objectives of what they want to accomplish in a day, week, month, and semester.

Write down some of the qualities that would make the music sound better and where they occur in the score. Then during rehearsals, you can mention these musical elements and how to alter them and play them better.
Art
Finale 27
NotePerformer, GPO5, COMB2
MacOS Ventura 13.6.4
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BRHBTHT/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=%22Arthur+J.+Michaels%22&qid=1593016536&sr=8-2