Insert notes (Speedy Entry Tool is horrible to use)

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

dstraigh
Finale Version: 27.3.0.160
Operating System: Mac

Post by dstraigh » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:51 am

I've been using Finale on and off for the past four years. Today I've come to the conclusion that it's unrealistic to insert or replace notes within a measure containing notes (without disturbing the other notes). As an example, today I wanted to replace a quarter note rest with an eighth rest and an eighth note on beat one. Online searches seemed to indicate use of the Speedy Tool would be the method of choice. I find the Speedy Tool pretty much horrible for insertion of notes.

After fumbling for an hour on ONE measure - I came to the conclusion it's just easier to delete the entire measure and start over. Even though I must re-enter all notes, flip stems back to the way they where, and reposition stuff - it's faster (a lot faster) to do that than mess around endlessly with The Speedy Entry Tool - which is anything but Speedy.

Yeah, sorry, I'm really frustrated with Finale right now. Generally, I've really appreciated Finale - but Finale seriously falls short with something that ought to be quite easy to do.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:57 am

dstraigh wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:51 am
… Today I've come to the conclusion that it's unrealistic to insert or replace notes within a measure containing notes (without disturbing the other notes). As an example, today I wanted to replace a quarter note rest with an eighth rest and an eighth note on beat one …
Your example (= replace 4tr rest with 8th rest + 8th note) is probably not the best example of “it's unrealistic to insert or replace notes within a measure containing notes (without disturbing the other notes)”.

I often do a replacement like the one you describe.
My steps (in the Speedy Entry Tool):
Position the crosshair on the 4tr rest, on the scale step for the desired 8th note.
4 (changes the 4tr rest to an 8th rest),
⇧4 (inserts the 8th note on the crosshair’s scale step).

When I have done so, all the other notes are on the correct beats (= un-disturbed = playing back correctly).

It may be necessary to Apply Music Spacing, or Update Layout.

Do you have Automatic Update Layout toggled on or off?
And what about Automatic Music Spacing?
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:13 am

Right, there's an Insert/Replace mode in Speedy Entry. There are of course many ways to do it, but I would put it in Insert mode, delete the quarter rest, then enter the two eighths.

NEVER turn off Automatic Update Layout. That option dates from long ago when displays were slow. Update Layout is really like "Refresh."

HaraldS
Finale Version: 25.5

Post by HaraldS » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:05 am

Speedy Entry is not horrible to use, but you have to learn some hotkeys and input tactics to benefit from its power. I can strongly recommend to use it with a MIDI keyboard and set up a hotkey for slurs - then speedy is by far the fastest and most accurate entering method in Finale.

To replace a quarter rest by an eighth rest and an eighth note with a MIDI keyboard:
- set the speedy cursor on the quarter rest
- hit "4" to change the rest to an eigth rest
- hold down the MIDI key and hit shift-4 to insert the desired pitch as an eighth note

This takes only some seconds, if you know the hotkeys by heart and can anticipate what action to take to achieve a goal. Yes, it requires quite some learning, but that's true for every device/instrument/software used in a professional way.
Finale 3.0-25.5, German edition, Windows 7
trombonist, pianist, conductor / Recklinghausen, Germany

heinzfan
Finale Version: 27

Post by heinzfan » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:38 pm

I believe that only pressing the shift + a num-lock key will not insert a note as it would by pressing shift + qwerty key, unless the "insert" key is activated. When the "insert" key has been pressed the speedy cross-hair displays little triangles at top and bottom.
Finale 27, Windows 10, VST: Vienna Instruments/Ensemble/Synchron, Cubase, Kontakt 5