How to get dotted line (smart shape tool) in all the score ?

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Bacbé
Finale Version: 2014
Operating System: Windows

Post by Bacbé » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:35 am

Hi,

I need dotted lines with my expressions "rit.". So I have put dotted lines with Smart shape tool, but they don't appear in all the score. I haven't found the best way to make that.

Thanks you for your help,

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:27 pm

1) If I understand you correctly, you have used the Smart Shape Tool to enter dotted lines in the score, right?
But in certain regions of the score you enter the dotted line, and the line immediately disappears, and the line refuses to appear in the layout, right?

Unfortunately I have no idea what the culprit could be (file corruption?).
I suggest that you attach a (small) Finale sample document here, for the gurus to examine.

2) Instead of a dotted line (like this: . . . . . . . ), have you considered using a dashed line (like this: - - - - - )?
A dashed line might be easier on the eye.

3) Another idea:
Instead of entering rit. as an expression you could enter the rit. as a smart shape line (use the sub-tool Custom Line Tool), with rit. as text at the beginning of the line.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:27 pm

My guess is that the O.P. wants the dotted line to automatically appear in all parts, the way rit. itself does via a score list. Unfortunately, Finale doesn't have that feature, so one is forced to copy to all staves, and hide it in the score.

Callasmaniac
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Callasmaniac » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:09 am

...unless you enter the "rit. - - - -" as Tempo or Tempo alteration. Then it will be in all parts. Con side is that you may need to edit the length for every part.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:05 pm

Callasmaniac wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:09 am
...unless you enter the "rit. - - - -" as Tempo or Tempo alteration. Then it will be in all parts. Con side is that you may need to edit the length for every part.
Also consider system breaks in the linked part.

A custom Smart Shape line automatically adjusts itself to the layout - incl. system breaks.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996