VST Add ons

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

foreverjerr
Finale Version: 26.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by foreverjerr » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:29 pm

I once had Native Instruments Battery, but it doesn't load now. I went to search for VST instruments and there are a few out there. My question is, will any VST instrument work with Finale?

ttw
Finale Version: 27.4

Post by ttw » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:18 pm

All the Garritan work with Finale. Both are owned by Make Music. As VSTs go, these cost little but work pretty well. Others cost more but have better (and more) sounds.

Michel R E
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25, 26

Post by Michel R E » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:53 pm

simple answer: no, not "any" VST will work with Finale.

slightly more complicated answer: you have to see if the VST in question is compatible with Finale, has a player that Finale will recognize, or is usable with either Kontakt Player or the Aria player.

Some VSTs have their own players, for example NotePerformer3, and their own set of playback instructions for HumanPlayback so that Finale knows what do do with the notes, and how to direct program changes or layer changes to get correct playback.

So for example, the Garritan libraries have their own HumanPlayback definitions, so that when Finale sees the word "pizz" or "arco" it knows to switch to the correct sound for that instrument.
However, if you are using NotePerformer3 then the playback definitions are different. NP3 comes with its own set of playback definitions. You have to tell Finale that it is to use those, rather than the Garritan definitions or even the basic MIDI definitions.

Generally, this is a relatively simple matter.

What sort of instruments are you specifically looking for, and for what type of music?

The answer to that question will likely get you more specific answers and recommendations for libraries to use that do function with Finale.
User of Finale since version 3.0 on Windows.
Now using a mix of Finale 2012, Finale 25, and 26.1
GPO, Garritan Solo Stradivari violin, Gofriller Solo Cello.
XSamples Chamber Ensemble.
Absolute convert to NotePerformer3.