Can hear playback in MIDI but not VST/Garritan

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

redmeg
Operating System: Windows

Post by redmeg » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:55 pm

Hi there,

Long-time occasional Finale user. Currently own version 25. Running on Windows 10. Finally sprang for GPO 5 a few months back but haven't had time to mess around with it until now.

I can get playback just find through MIDI, but I get no sound when I switch to VST. I used the setup wizard when creating a test file to make sure all banks set up properly. I have added my keycard to Garritan so it knows I am an authorized user. When I hit playback in studio mode I can even see the individual volume displays bopping along to show the various instruments.

JUST. NO. SOUND.

I'm hoping this is something really obvious I'm overlooking-- can anyone point me in the right direction, please?

Thanks!

oldmkvi
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Mac

Post by oldmkvi » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:08 pm

Check Device Setup, see what is selected.
Internal Speakers, Dac, etc.
Make sure the right one is selected.
And did you switch from Midi to VST in
the Midi/Audio Drop-down Menu?

redmeg

Post by redmeg » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:15 am

I FIXED IT!!!

I think it was that I had overlooked the notes on the Garritan site that the Aria player bundled with GPO is out-of-date.

I uninstalled and reinstalled GPO5 & World Instruments, then updated Aria Player following the update link inside the player & rebooted the machine.

Launched Finale, and couldn't hear anything. SOB.

Switched to MIDI, could hear just fine. Switched back to VST and suddenly... lots of really fast popups and I could see the machine doing all kinds of really quick instrument lookups. Now I have sound. :D Yay technology!

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Djard » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:19 pm

Next time try reassigning the playback sounds in the MIDI/Audio submenu.